Chat freely about anything...

By Shigsy
#74201 I have a Wemos D1 mini with a few analogue sensors, reading in values and logging the data on-board using the SPIFFS filesystem. This is all working fine. I can run a webserver on the D1 and connect to it over wifi from my browser, where I can present a webpage with some buttons to activate one of three digital out pins e.g. to trigger some connected relays.

The issue I am just about to hit is, how do I expand this network to ~100 D1 mini's? The final project will need 100 D1's reading values from their sensors and logging them. I then need to be able to tell any one, or a group of them, over wifi to switch relay X for example. I also need to be able to retrieve the entire log file (it's a txt file) from any one or a group of the D1s over wifi.

My thinking was to have 1 act as a master, which has no sensors but instead simply runs as a webserver, serving up a basic HTML page to show all 100 sensors. I can click on any one, or group select multiple, and hit a "switch relay 2" button, or "download log file(s)", which will issue the command to the selected D1(s) in parallel via a router i.e. the master is connected to the router and acts as the webserver (fixed IP), all 100 D1s are also connected to the router (IPs dynamically assigned by the router), then I connect to the master over wifi using my laptop which pings the full address range and serves back a HTML page with all of the D1's listed (based the IPs that responded to the ping), with HTML buttons next to each.

Is this achievable? I can't find any examples of a network involving a router that is acting as the middle-man between a master and a large series of ESP8266's. All and any pointers, tips and advice are welcome. Thanks.
By Shigsy
#74683 I was really hoping for some kind of reply, anything at all lol. Has anyone connected multiple ESP8266 devices to a router, then connected to one (the server) using their laptop and getting it to send commands to the others via the router?
By rudy
#74687 A very wifi lawn - real-time signal strength - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbjlStyMmaY
We took about 175 MAGFest 2017 Swadges and put them on my lawn. Then we had one badge that controlled the rest. Depending on the signal strength to each swadge, they would light up a different color with purple being the strongest and red being the weakest.

2,000 ESP8266's for MAGFest - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WCIu-3OFEQ
At MAGFest 2017, we wanted to do something special for the supporters and staff. We got 2,000 swadges made. Not just any old swag badges, but ones that could wirelessly communicate and light up! Here's our story of how.

https://github.com/cnlohr/swadges2017
By villTech
#74706 hi rudy. are you CNLohr?

@Shigsy.
i would suggest to use a dedicated server (raspberry pi or a router with openwrt, installed with mqtt broker, mysql)

all esp8266 will send data to server and server will log the data on its mysql
mqtt will be used in triggering the relay.