Chat freely about anything...

By aledrus
#75439 Hi

I've been running some code with the Arduino IDE on some normal ESP-01 and ESP-01s (with 1MB memory and only 1 blue led).

Today I received a couple of ESP-01's with 2 leds but ont he device the 8 pin chip is significantly bigger than the ESP-01 I'm used to, it is about the same size as the ESP-01s.

I'm using a USB-ESP programmer with a reset button I made that shorts GPIO0 to GND when pressed.

I'm trying to upload the same firmware to this new ESP-01, it uploads fine but the ESP never boots. No blue lights (just constant red light) to signify any activity.

I'm using pretty much the same .ino file I've used previously on ESP-01 and ESP-01s, (where I have the LED pins reversed to make it light up (GPIO1 on the ESP-01 and GPIO2 on the ESP-01s). On this ESP-01 with bigger 8-pin chip, nothing blinks and there is no serial output.

I've tried the basic example sketches Blink and CheckFlashConfig - they both upload fine until the message "Done Uploading.." but after that nothing happens. I can't remember if the Reset Method should be selected as something to make it work (yesterday Arduino IDE wouldn't load so I had to uninstall and reinstall, and in doing so lost all my settings and libraries), so I don't know if I have missed something. I also thought I used a different programmer (now it is AVRISP Mk II) but I don't remember which one.

The thing is, with current settings the code compiles and uploads and executes fine in the other ESP-01 and ESP-01s models. But they don't seem to execute with this particular ESP-01 with the bigger 8-leg chip. The original firmware that came together was fine (AT responds fine, it started its on hotspot), but once I've flashed in my own firmware (or any of the default examples) it completely goes dead. I wanted to blame a faulty chip, but I bought 3 of them and all 3 behave the exact same way.

Can anyone please suggest what I should try?

Thanks!
By rudy
#75460 Recently there are some modules being produced with some flash chips with unusual characteristics. I saw a an issue about it on https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino

I don't know if it is the same problem but the person was having his problems with a new ESP-01. I think there was a code fix for it but I don't remember the details.

But before you go looking for that make sure you try to set Erase Flash from "Only Sketch" to "All Flash Contents" .

And try with a 512K flash size. Otherwise I have no idea.
By aledrus
#75795 Hi, I still can't figure out why my code isn't working.

Do these settings look correct to you? I've had some experience with ESP-01 and ESP-01s. But this one, I don't even know where it is called and how to get it working.
Attachments
20180506_152846.jpg
Code and Settings
By rudy
#75796 I would use 512K rather than 1M. There also have been some ESP-01 modules made recently with some flash chips with odd programming requirements. I forget the details. I had seen the issue on the github Arduino/ESP8266 site. There was a workaround for it. Again, I forget the details since if didn't affect me.