Chat freely about anything...

By n4mwd
#78657 Does anyone know if this is possible? I know that I could whip one up with an arduino or something else, but running directly on the ESP-01 would be better. The mpu I'm using for the main project has limited flash.

Currently I've been using the MPU to send AT commands, but this is very awkward.
By QuickFix
#78660 Short answer: yes, just have a look at some Arduino ESP-core examples (they're actually there).
Better answer: you don't want to, since most ESP-01's only have limited amounts of flash memory (typically 512kB), while ESP-12's have 4MB.

See this table for an overview.

Also: do you have experience with the ESP?
If not, build up some experience with a development board (like the NodeMCU or a WeMos): equally cheap, but with all necessairy things on-board to give you a good start.
By n4mwd
#78664 Thanks for the replies. I sent an "AT_RST" command and it came back with the following:
> SPI Flash Size & Map: 8Mbit(512KB+512KB)

Is this false or is it possible these really do have 1MB flash? I have flashed these with the latest factory firmware because the "AT+CIPSNTPTIME" function didn't work when I got it. The flasher program came up with 8mbit so I just ran with that. I don't know if the "8Mbit" is coming from the hardware or if its something the flasher put there. I haven't seen any crashes or unexpected resets, but I can't say I've tried every single command either. My guess is that its real.

I don't currently have the arduino IDE installed. I'm currently programming this in C on windows using a little USB adapter / programmer board I bought for a dollar. I will try to get the Arduino IDE installed soon as I need it for another project coming up soon. The ultimate target MPU for this project is a SiLabs Universal Bee, but development for this kind of stuff is easier on windows.

Anyhow, even if I could get a few macros done by the ESP it would help. The Bee I'm using only has 40K flash and I think 8K is reserved for the USB interface. Its my first time using this particular Bee.