Chat freely about anything...

By McChubby007
#78672 I know some of you use this API to collect weather data, so I thought you would be interested to know its API is closing down end of this year, see https://apicommunity.wunderground.com/w ... ground-api

Too successful for its own good, and a shame. I'm sure you'll be able to pay them for something else.
By QuickFix
#78673 I'm not a WU user, but as I understand:
  • • Your subscriptions, and therefore access, will continue to work through 12/31/2018.
  • If you are a paying WU API customer, you will receive a call from a representative from The Weather Company, and IBM business, to discuss transition options to other API services. If you’d like to have these conversations sooner, contact us.
  • If you are a Personal Weather Station owner, you will receive more information about our plan to offer free access to the data you provide to Weather Underground. We’ll reach out once that plan has been finalized.
  • For developers who use WU API data for non-commercial purposes, you will have access to a new plan for a personal use, low call volume API. Stay tuned for more details as we build this out.
So there's still some service, albeit at a low query rate.
By McChubby007
QuickFix wrote:I'm not a WU user, but as I understand:
  • • Your subscriptions, and therefore access, will continue to work through 12/31/2018.
  • If you are a paying WU API customer, you will receive a call from a representative from The Weather Company, and IBM business, to discuss transition options to other API services. If you’d like to have these conversations sooner, contact us.
  • If you are a Personal Weather Station owner, you will receive more information about our plan to offer free access to the data you provide to Weather Underground. We’ll reach out once that plan has been finalized.
  • For developers who use WU API data for non-commercial purposes, you will have access to a new plan for a personal use, low call volume API. Stay tuned for more details as we build this out.
So there's still some service, albeit at a low query rate.

Yes, I read that before posting, but I guess what I'm getting at, is that for the majority of people on this site, the last bullet point is relevant and what this meas is unclear because they say "Stay tuned for more details as we build this out". Does this mean just a lower volume?, will the api change to ensure a clean slate? (I think it will). In any case you may find that suddenly in 2019 things don't work well (or at all) and those that use the api should be proactive in finding out the details asap. Of course, this could be mitigated by moving to another api/service.