Chat freely about anything...

By spaceman
#83704 Hi all

One thing that I am curious about for quite some time..

Let's say you Flash an ESP8266 module with a Firmware, for example AT v1.6.2.0 and SDK v2.2.1.

Are the AT and SDK parts like 2 software layers?
Meaning the AT Commands interpreter is a program, that calls code on a lower layer - the SDK?

And now a second question:
Let's say a few days later, you program the ESP8266 with Arduino IDE +ESP8266 Core,
with some program that you wrote.

What resides on the Flash memory now?
Is the AT Commands interpreter program gone - overridden by the program you created in Arduino IDE?
And is some version of SDK code (binary) still there? (If yes is there a way to know which version of SDK is it?

Thank you
By schufti
spaceman wrote:Are the AT and SDK parts like 2 software layers?
Meaning the AT Commands interpreter is a program, that calls code on a lower layer - the SDK?

exactly
spaceman wrote:And now a second question:
Let's say a few days later, you program the ESP8266 with Arduino IDE +ESP8266 Core,
with some program that you wrote.

What resides on the Flash memory now?
Is the AT Commands interpreter program gone - overridden by the program you created in Arduino IDE?

yes
spaceman wrote:And is some version of SDK code (binary) still there? (If yes is there a way to know which version of SDK is it?

the uploaded arduino fw brings its own version of sdk depending on the core version you have installed
By spaceman
#83708 Hi schufti

Thank you very much for making this clear.

OK,
If the AT and SDK parts like 2 software layers,
Does each of them have a separate file, in the Firmware ZIP that we download?

schufti wrote:The uploaded arduino fw brings its own version of sdk depending on the core version you have installed

That's interesting..
So when I choose the ESP8266 Core version, I chose the SDK version that will be burnt..

Another thing If I may:
I purchased a Wemos Uno+Wifi board:
(ATmega328+ESP8266)

https://www.banggood.com/Geekcreit-UNOW ... 05444.html

The board came with the ATmega328 flashed with Blink,
and the ESP8266 flashed with the program "WiFiScan":
https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino/blob ... FiScan.ino

From what I understand,
due to the fact that the ESP8266 is running a program, then it means I cannot send AT Commands to it, until I re-Flash it with a regular Firmware, instead of a program,

So no AT commands part...

But since there is some kind of SDK layer below this program,
is it possible for me to somehow know which SDK version is used on it?
(by somehow communicating with the board, for example maybe in Program mode (upload firmware) instead of in communication mode..)