Chat freely about anything...

By sblantipodi
eriksl wrote:I really hope that won't happen any time soon!

Although the ESP32 has really interesting hardware (more hardware modules and more memory), it has one great drawback and that's it can only be used with the "OS" SDK. Which is a disaster.

On the other hand, everything the ESP32 can do, can be done with the ESP8266 as well, you just need to add some bit banging code for things like I2C and you must be clever on how to use memory and cpu cycles. If you do that, it can do the same as the ESP32 and at the same time makes it more fun to program.

what is the OS SDK you are talking about?
It's not clear to me what OS or SDK I'm using on the ESP32.

I'm using the platformio ide on my esp8266 and I create sketches "arduino style" with a setup() and loop() function.
Is this OS SDK?

Can I use platformio ide and arduino code like on the esp8266 on the esp32?
By eriksl
#86519 Oh dear, even worse...

What I mean is that some of us want to program and use a microcontroller, not an arduino shield. The ESP8266 NON-OS SDK is still somewhat like that, the RTOS SDK is already way in the direction of arduino or who knows what.
By sblantipodi
eriksl wrote:Oh dear, even worse...

What I mean is that some of us want to program and use a microcontroller, not an arduino shield. The ESP8266 NON-OS SDK is still somewhat like that, the RTOS SDK is already way in the direction of arduino or who knows what.

Can you elaborate please?
What is the difference in programming and esp8266 like an Arduino or using the non os SDK?

What is the non is SDK?

Is Arduino programming on esp related to rtos SDK?

Please try to explain me the difference between the Arduino sketch I use, the non os SDK and the rtos sdk