Chat freely about anything...

By RIN67630
#89611 The ArduinoOTA.handle(); has been named that way historically since the IDE used is the same.
My code is for an ESP8266 and nothing else.
https://lastminuteengineers.com/esp8266 ... duino-ide/

But if you was not aware of that, you cannot help anyway.
Thank you for answering.
By btidey
#89617 I think the reference to Arduino was more about what IDE you are using to develop code for the ESP8266; Arduino, SDK etc.

ArduinoOTA.handle() itself does not do anything on wifi. It just check a state to see if there is an OTA to do. So there is no harm in checking it often.

The state itself can be set when a request is received and then of course the handle does then trigger further activity including the upload of the new firmware.

As to how long a delay you the system can tolerate that is more at the mercy of the OTA originator. If you were planning on suspending wifi then the sender must be able to deal with that and wait appropriately.

It sounds like you have some network activity occurring very regularly so doesn't sound very likely that you can suspend wifi. You need to give more details on what this other activity is if you want more specific advice. E.g. can you cache data localy and then do a less frequent bulk update?
By davydnorris
RIN67630 wrote:The ArduinoOTA.handle(); has been named that way historically since the IDE used is the same.
My code is for an ESP8266 and nothing else.
https://lastminuteengineers.com/esp8266 ... duino-ide/

But if you was not aware of that, you cannot help anyway.
Thank you for answering.

Arduino is an entire programming environment and platform - you're using Arduino to develop applications for an ESP8266 module, so you really need to ask this question in the Arduino sections to get the best answers.

There are quite a few things that are done differently when working under the Arduino platform - if you don't specify that you're using Arduino then you may get answers that don't make sense for you.
By eriksl
#89619 Exactly, that was my point. As you (TS) apparently are using functions from the arduino SDK, that WILL have impact on the way it works.

As opposed to using the native SDK (either NONOS or RTOS).

I think it's best to always assume nothing and always mention which SDK you are using, because quite a bit of the SDK's code gets linked to your code.