Chat freely about anything...

By Kevin240
#91266 Hi!
So I’m trying to learn about how the ESP8266 works so that I can finish a project I’m working on. I however am very new to this and don’t know very much. I am just trying to wire my 8266 to a RFID reader.

First, can I just use jumper wire like used for breadboards and connect a female header to the bottom pins then strip the other end and connect/crimp it to the rfid reader?

Also, is it fine for the entire 9V to pass into the 8266 or should I just run it straight into the rfid reader then use some other power source for the 8266? This is assuming it’s portable and not connected to my computer.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
By btidey
#91282 You don't say what type of ESP8266 module you are working from. From what you say it sounds like a NodeMCU or Wemos.

Assuming this is a module with breadboard spaced pins already soldered on then you could possible use the jumpers as suggested but bear in mind that many of these jumpers have very thin internal wire so you need to be careful if trying to crimp yourself.

If you are using a module RFID reader you may be able to solder a header onto it so you can make connections with jumpers that have female both ends.

The 9V supply to the ESP8266 module might work assuming it is one with on board 3.3V regulator that can handle the 9V, However, the regulator is linear so has to drop 5.7V so there is quite a bit of power dissipation in the regulator. Assuming 100ma average current (peaks can go up to 400mA) then that is 600mW and the regulator will get pretty hot. In addition some modules are fitted with regulators that have a more limited input voltage and are designed to be used with 5V input and going much above that could exceed their operating specs and cause damage.

If you can then use a lower voltage power source or drop the 9V down to say 5V with a low cost buck switching voltage converter.
By finleyjamessz
#94583 Hi!
So I’m trying to learn about how the ESP8266 works so that I can finish a project I’m working on. I however am very new to this and don’t know very much. I am just trying to wire my 8266 to a RFID reader.

Problem with 192.168.100.1 address
Everytime I type in the 192.168.100.1 address, I receive a message "Internet Explorer Cannot Display

Webpage". I have tried this several times and it doesn't connect me to the website.

HELP!

192.168.100.1 – 192.168.l00.1 is a private IP address commonly used at home and offices to manage and change router admin settings. It is mostly used by brands Motorola, Ubee, Arris, Lenovo, Netronix, Planet, ZyXEL, etc.