Chat freely about anything...

By bnvs
#13909 Hi All, So I got a esp8266 white development board from ebay. its the one shown in this video right here.

This is also called ESP8266 SDK Development board with the esp-201 chipset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IGb86t_KLw

So when I hook it up on my windows 7 64-bit PC through USB. The board lights up as it should and I get a USB 2.0 on device manager. But I cannot find out what drivers I need to use to start interfacing with this board?

I know I might be missing something..So can you help? What do I need to do next to get this working? What drivers do i need to install etc?

BTW I did try searching everywhere for this info through google but i got no luck. Please help.

Last edited by bnvs on Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By bnvs
#13981 Yes downloading the CH340G drivers for my machine worked.

After this here some other things we need to do to make it work for others who are struggling like me.

You have to put the 1 (or R pin) to ON to make it recognize the chip and start talking to it. Once this started talking I updated my module to the latest NodeMCU firmware. BTW once you upload to NodeMCU I believe the AT commands stop work with that firmware. I think normal programing works after that. Still exploring this stuff.

FOR FIRMWARE UPDATE: To put the chip set in firmware update state you need to either press the S2 button while turning the board ON or pull the 8(or K2) pin ON to update the firmware. Also insure you pull 8(or K2) pin it back down after the firmware is updated.