Chat freely about anything...

By Stewart
#95893 I'm going to redesign a PC board for a WeMos D1 miniafter the RobotDyn ESP-8266-Pro reached end of life and disappeared. (Amazon nearly $10US over our original cost)

I'm leaning toward positioning the ESP-32 on top as it needs to dissipate more heat, and most of these I've seen with an LED have it on the ESP-32. We would be mounting the module with male headers on the module and low-profile female headers on PC board. So the module lives about 6mm above the PC board.

Suggestions or comments?
By rooppoorali
#95896 Positioning the ESP-32 on top to dissipate heat is a good idea, as it will help to prevent thermal throttling and ensure the stability of the device.

In terms of mounting the module, using male headers on the module and low-profile female headers on the PC board is a common method and should work well. The 6mm clearance above the PC board will also help with heat dissipation.

It's also a good idea to include a heat sink on the ESP-32 module to further dissipate heat.

In addition, you may want to consider including a fan or other cooling solution, such as a heatsink, to ensure the ESP-32 stays within safe operating temperatures.

Finally, it's always a good idea to thoroughly test your design before releasing it to ensure it meets your requirements and functions as expected.