Chat freely about anything...

By Squonk
#15237 The Domino Core module is based on Qualcomm/Atheros AR9331 WiSoC, which is based on a 400 MHz-class MIPS CPU, with 64 MB DDR2 RAM and 16 MB SPI Flash, running a full Linux OpenWRT OS.

It is thus more appropriate for resource-demanding tasks like audio/video streaming or network routing than low-power sensor application like the ones targeted by the ESP8266 chip.

However, the AR9331 features the lowest power consumption for this class of SoC, with only 0.5W @ 18dBm Wi-Fi. It is possible to throttle the power consumption down, but you will never reach the 78µA of the ESP8266.
By cal
#15315 Moin,

never say never ;-)
I saw a clever trick to power off a battery operated mcu board nearly completely that consisted of an electronic 'switch'
(forgot what kind of device it was, surprisingly small operating losses for me), a capacitor that
gets drained while sleeping and a voltage 'supervisor' that switches the mcu board on when capacitor
voltage drops beyond a limit.

Carsten
By Squonk
cal wrote:Moin,

never say never ;-)
I saw a clever trick to power off a battery operated mcu board nearly completely that consisted of an electronic 'switch'
(forgot what kind of device it was, surprisingly small operating losses for me), a capacitor that
gets drained while sleeping and a voltage 'supervisor' that switches the mcu board on when capacitor
voltage drops beyond a limit.

Carsten

Yes, of course, this is always possible, but you need to consider that you need to switch 0.5W, and that boot time for a Linux OS is not as fast as bare-metal firmware.