Chat freely about anything...

By alonewolfx2
#14708 i am wondering one thing. is project and maker support will continue after funded? and can we develop new modules like camera module?.
i have a couple idea but prototip things very expensive for small quantities. can you help?
By nemik
#14750 Squonk this is awesome! First thank you for your reversing of the WR703N which helped me a lot many times. I've built a bunch of devices around Atheros SoCs with OpenWRT and really like the entire platform. I'm most interested in the service you're offering for creating custom products in smaller quantities (less than 5k it seems is small for many Chinese manufacturers) and even doing the PCB layout. This kind of thing would definitely be useful for me and some of my clients so I'm very excited it's an option. Since it's Wifi, will you guys be able to accommodate stuff like helping with FCC testing and certifications?
By Squonk
alonewolfx2 wrote:i am wondering one thing. is project and maker support will continue after funded? and can we develop new modules like camera module?.
i have a couple idea but prototip things very expensive for small quantities. can you help?

GL Technology has been making their GL.iNet OpenwRT-baser pocket router for 1 1/2 year, and I have been tinkering with Wi-Fi routers for 3 years, see my TPèLink TL-WR703N pocket router reverse engineering (http://squonk42.github.io/TL-WR703N/), so yes, we will still be around for a while :D

You can develop new modules for the Domino, as both hardware and software will be open, you can already check the board pinout digrams. We plan to add more modules, and thied-party modules are welcome!

Yes, prototyping in small quantities is both expensive and complex when it comes to Wi-Fi. Except for the ESP8266 which does not need it, all high-end Wi-Fi SoC require individual production line RF calibration, performed with dedicated software and hardware. Part of the funds we will get from the Kickstarter campaign will help us provide cheap services for makers, including design assistance, board layout for production, component selection and provisioning in China, assembly and control, and eventually storage and shipping from HK. Please PM for specific needs.
By Squonk
nemik wrote:Squonk this is awesome! First thank you for your reversing of the WR703N which helped me a lot many times. I've built a bunch of devices around Atheros SoCs with OpenWRT and really like the entire platform. I'm most interested in the service you're offering for creating custom products in smaller quantities (less than 5k it seems is small for many Chinese manufacturers) and even doing the PCB layout. This kind of thing would definitely be useful for me and some of my clients so I'm very excited it's an option. Since it's Wifi, will you guys be able to accommodate stuff like helping with FCC testing and certifications?

You are welcome!

Yes, I have been there myself, and was more than happy to find the good people at GL Technology to help me! As you said, it is very difficult to get help with small quantities, but it is very easy to get tons of crap hardware too ;) : fake chips, reconditioned chips, memory with defects, out of tolerance crystals, uncalibrated RF, single dummy MAC address, poor assembly without ESD handling, etc.

Regarding our Domino Core module, FCC/CE/IC certification is on its way, which should not be a problem since the module has a built-in power supply for RF and is shielded, with professional routing. Then depending on which certification you aim, you may need or not to pass a certification for the final product, this vary when another RF is present in the product or not, and if it is CE, FCC, IC or other. Anyway, having the Domino Core pre-certified as a module greatly simplify the process, of course.