Chat freely about anything...

By zrrr
#16976 Hi,

Pretty much all projects/libraries (even newer ones) seem to build upon the IoT SDK instead of the FreeRTOS SDK. Why that? The FreeRTOS SDK is undoubted far superior as it directly exposes the underlying open source libraries. The IoT framework provides only very thin wrappers around them which don't make programming easier but harder as the are very poorly documented and don't even provide the full feature set of the underlying libraries. Also Espressif seems to close it down more and more with every release (as the did for example with lwIP in v0.95).

But maybe I'm missing some point. I would be really interested in hearing what's the reason so few people use the FreeRTOS SDK.
By Michaelo
#17012 I'd be interested to know the actual breakdown... who uses what...

I tend to check them all out and go with which ever works without too much fixing but I'm getting on a bit and nowadays it's "anything for an easy life"... :mrgreen:

Mike
By eriksl
#17028 Actually I'd rather see it completely the other way around. I'd like to have complete (!) and useful documentation of all the hardware on-board and don't spend time on any layer between.

If anyone has decent (!) documentation of the UART I'd be very pleased.

Sorry for spoiling the thread ;-)
By jwatte
#17050 I tend to agree. I'm using the Arduino SDK/IDE, not because I like it (I actually hate it) but because it was the only "download and go" solution for my development Linux workstation.

I would prefer a well-configured gcc toolchain, using GNU make, and some system libraries and headers that I can (optionally) use, with good data sheets for all the peripherals.
However, creating all that takes significant, skilled, manpower, and doing so would probably double the cost of these modules (or more) from the factory, so one takes what one can get...