Chat freely about anything...

By Jammer
#17458 Hello!

I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the feasibility of using the esp8266 and a camera module to build a wireless IP camera. This combo would be perfect to use with an RC car / plane /quadcopter as it's compact and light weight!

I was thinking of using a ttl serial camera to communicate via the boards rt tx pins but I'm not sure if this is a good option. Ideally the output would need to have low latency at around < 100ms and reasonably high frame rates like 25fps!

I've read about using a Hi3518 IP camera module : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=398#p1670 however I'm at a loss as to how someone could make this wireless.

Does anyone have any thoughts,suggestions or hints to point me in the right direction?

Many thanks!

Cheers :)
By lethe
Jammer wrote:I was thinking of using a ttl serial camera to communicate via the boards rt tx pins but I'm not sure if this is a good option. Ideally the output would need to have low latency at around < 100ms and reasonably high frame rates like 25fps!

While that might work, I don't think the ESP is your best choice for that. UART bandwidth is very limited, I would not expect to get more than 10fps (monochrome & crappy resolution).

Jammer wrote:I've read about using a Hi3518 IP camera module : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=398#p1670 however I'm at a loss as to how someone could make this wireless.

For a few $ more, you can get an IP camera with wifi integrated. Or you could strap a tiny 10$ wifi AP to the camera. As a third option, you could use a RasPi (A+) with camera and wifi dongle.