Chat freely about anything...

By jcgalvezv
#18277 Hi:

I am new to this forum and want to ask a couple of questions:

1. I have read that boot loader is burned in the Soc ROM memory. It could be understood as if there was no possibility to brick it with a failed flash. Am i right?

2. I have read that there is a possibility to boot from serial instead of from flash. I want to be able to test my program before flashing. Doing several tests mean several compilations and flashing. This flashing takes some time and could wear flash memory. It would be good to be able to upload the program directly to RAM memory and run it from there without flashing. Do anybody know how can this "boot from serial" be done?
By jcgalvezv
#18404 Thanks you Cal for your reply.

Not the answer I wanted :oops: by I guess my question was to long and prone to miss interpretations.

What I want to know is:

1. Is there any risk to incorrectly update the firmware in such a way that the device become useless/irresponsive?

2. Do anyone have any knowledge about booting from serial?
By eriksl
#18405 1) Will be very difficult or even impossible, the boot loader seems be in rom.

2) Yes and no, there is no boot-from-serial mode BUT you can upload your program into flash and after that the processor will start executing the program. You might even succeed in making a serial-to-spiflash-emulator :-)