Chat freely about anything...

By frob
SOTAdesign-WiFi-audio-module.jpg
First proto rendering
SOTAdesign-WiFi-audio-module.jpg (28.77 KiB) Viewed 10829 times

This is a quick rendering of it - just finished the design, about to send out for proto boards.
what's unique about it, is it includes the extra RAM required by the Espressif example code for adequate buffering of audio data on slow networks.
It also has an (optional) on-board 3.3V regulator,
and can be built with a u.FL connector for external antenna if desired.
most of the I/O's (including the I2S signals of course) are fanned-out to the dual-row 2mm header on the left, save for a few of the memory connections (flash/ram); those are on the other rectangular pads (still 2mm grid) as test points.
Also, absolutely massive power supply capacitors have been added along with supplemental decoupling in an attempt to quash the quite nasty Vcc droop/ noise i've seen in typical modules when the radio is operating.
NOTE: it does not include an I2S DAC or amplifier - given the wide range of diverse audio applications possible, including those would render the module unsuitable for most.
It seems preferable to add your choice of appropriate I2S DAC / amplifier on the main board.

This is a first proto of a module that is intended to be embedded in a commercial product i am also designing. The final version will likely be slightly different in size / pinout and include a shield for FCC modular approvals.
As it stands its ~ 29mm x 20mm.

I had not initially intended to market this as a standalone module, however if there is enough interest voiced here on this forum, i may be swayed to do so :)
If anyone is interested in this , please don't be shy, and let me know your thoughts :)
Cheers
By frob
#22600 PCB's and IC's on their way.. hoping to have them here this coming weekend 8-)

155 views and not a single comment yet ? :roll:
it would seem that audio over WiFi isn't that interesting to most folks here...

I was hoping to get a discussion going about what sort of projects people might want to do with one of these -
maybe i'll turn that into a contest to help get things going - like best idea / proposal wins a free module?

cheers
By hdrut
#22602 Hi,

thanks for sharing your work
In reply to your asking for comments, I can only speak for myself. I am very interested in mp3 decoding, but my project needs the encoding part as well, so this kind of solutions only represent a first step.

Best rgds,

Horacio