Chat freely about anything...

By holopaul
#81434 Dear eriksl,
I was so happy to see your new release ! It did fix the bug i had that froze the bridge but unfortunately the speed is very important for my application because i send the position of my robot over the network and now it has a lot of latency and i can't control it anymore.
If i don't find another way I will have to revert to a previous version and give up the led altogether.
I think i did see an improvement with the flag "cpu-high-speed" but i don't have a method to measure this and it might be wishful thinking.
Thanks anyway for your time and effort.
Last edited by holopaul on Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
By holopaul
eriksl wrote:Regarding the UART bugs:
As LWIP has a different interface than espconn, I've had to make some design choices. One of them is that the UART queue (software, not hardware) is only checked when previous data has been sent completely. This may result in a slowdown of the data transfer rate from UART to network. Please evaluate."[/i]

Dear eriksl,
I was so happy to see your new release ! It did fix the bug i had that froze the bridge but unfortunately the speed is very important for my application because i send the position of my robot over the network and now it has a lot of latency and i can't control it anymore.
If i don't find another way I will have to revert to a previous version and give up the led altogether.
I think i did see an improvement with the flag "cpu-high-speed" but i don't have a method to measure this and it might be wishful thinking.
Thanks anyway for your time and effort.
By eriksl
#81441 I don't believe in giving up ;-) I think we'll find a way to get it working, but you will have to help me.

What is it exactly what you're experiencing what is wrong? Be as specific as possible.

The cpu speed setting is working, believe me. There are various ways to establish that, one of them is the i2c code, where I need to take care of the cpu speed for proper timing. That sad thing is that the cpu is capable of running even higher speeds (up to 320 Mhz), but Espressif doesn't support it in the SDK code.
By holopaul
eriksl wrote:I don't believe in giving up ;-) I think we'll find a way to get it working, but you will have to help me.
What is it exactly what you're experiencing what is wrong? Be as specific as possible.

Well, me neither! I'm well over an year into this project.
As i previously wrote, i use another mcu (samd21) to calculate the position and orientation of my tiny robot based on a few sensors. This information (X,Y,O,) is sent over (at 250k baud) from samd21>esp bridge>wifi to a computer that sends back pwm commands to the esp>motor driver.

With the previous version of universal serial bridge(11, 18, 19) i had almost no latency. Now v20 has a lot of lag with the same setup, a few hundred ms to almost a second. And v19 froze (viewtopic.php?p=81153#p81153) .

Now i'm running v11, that is the first one that i tested and it works flawlessly at least at the latency aspect.
I also tried to test v17 that is the latest without ledpixel support but i had a hard time figuring out the "io-mode" commands. Got back to v11 in the end.

My priority is the orientation and movement, after that comes in the bling component "led"
As a compromise i will try to implement the ws2812 on my last pwm pin of the other mcu and use the latest bridge i can manage to set up. If that won't work i will have to do a RBG led on 3 separate io's from the esp, a solution i'm not looking forward to.

I will also try v18 and v19 without the ledpixel defined and connected. I suspect the freezing up issue originates from this area.

I can send you a video of the latency comparison between versions if you want.

Thanks!