Chat freely about anything...

By metzp3369
#24625 Hello! I recently got an ESP-07, got it hooked up and flashed with AT firmware using the Adafruit FTDI friend at 3.3v VCC and 3.3v signal. Everything seemed like it had worked, but I can no longer get any communication to work over serial to the module.

I'm totally new to the esp8266, but I think I did my research well enough. I wired it as follows:

VCC -> 3.3v (Separate power supply)
GND -> GND (Separate power supply)
TX -> RX on FTDI
RX -> TX on FTDI
GPIO0 -> GND
GPIO15 -> GND
CH-PD -> 3.3v (Separate power supply)

When I power it on with GPIO0 floating, I can see it's broadcasting its SSID, so the chip isn't toast. When I monitor the serial connection at 9600 baud and reboot the module, I get:

.8.—Ž.þ.‚†ƒ.‡.‡Š’ú.‡.’ŽŽ.x..˜–.‡.0..ƒ:ŽþÚ¤¨HÈU–‹ÖK—ºÝݹ
¥µ¢¡¥¹­•É¹.½µ5Rj¤4Ej
’U–®®ZËK‚rÊrªB.ÅJj¤4ê«.W‹«..$('QY,H¦MH™˜14, 21:50:58
ready

So, I've other mods on order, but I'd like to figure out what's wrong with this guy if possible. If anyone's got any suggestion, I'm willing to try whatever. Thanks!
By tytower
#24646 I assume that's the usual rubbish you get on boot which you can see on a terminal set for 74880.
Then it switches to 115200 . Its saying Ready so it might be good . It needs you to send a LF and CR after the AT command . Are you doing that?

What are you using to program the chip?
By metzp3369
#24700 I'm using an FTDI Friend from Adafruit as my hardware for programming. I was using esptool on OSX in terminal for flashing the 8266.

I can't open COM at 74880 in CoolTerm on OSX, but using "screen" via terminal, I believe I can do that. However, I get the same junk at an alleged 74800 in terminal, followed by the same "ready" prompt.

Oddly, anything I send to the module is turned around and sent right back. It almost acts like it's shorted or something, because the mod's blue TX light doesn't light up except when it first boots up and. The only reason I don't think this is the case is that if I set the baud to 115200 and send "AT", I get back garbage. If I set it to 9600, I get back "AT". If it was shorted, I'd get back what I sent regardless of the baud, correct?

I am sending LFCR, also.
Last edited by metzp3369 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.