Chat freely about anything...

By naish
martinayotte wrote:There is no EEPROM on ESPs.
Flash on some ESPs are bigger, usually 4MB instead of the 512KB (but maybe some with 1MB)
Clock for ESPs is 80MHz, overclockable at 160MHz.

Correction to the values I've written on the table:
EEPROM: None. I've read somewhere (can't find it now) that it has it.
Flash: 4Mb. I've read that it's 4Mbit, that it's 512KByte.
Clock 80MHz. Sure. But everywhere in the manual says that it works at 26MHz?
By martinayotte
naish wrote:EEPROM: None. I've read somewhere (can't find it now) that it has it.
Flash: 4Mb. I've read that it's 4Mbit, that it's 512KByte.
Clock 80MHz. Sure. But everywhere in the manual says that it works at 26MHz?

EEPROM : None, otherwise it would be mentionned in the specs. http://bbs.espressif.com/download/file.php?id=520

Flash: Yes, older modules has 4Mbits (512KB), but many of us received newer modules, especially ESP12E already equipped with 32Kbits (4MB) (Personnally, I have 2 of thoses). We can bet that this trend will continue and 512KB will disappear. Windbond chips are getting cheaper : I've ordered some W25Q64 (64Mbits/8MB) for less than 50 cents each.

Clock 80MHz. This is the CPU clock each has a internal PLL. The 26Mhz is the external crystal used on most modules.
The above specs mentionned "The crystal frequency can range from 26MHz to 52MHz", and "If the frequency of the crystal oscillator is 40MHz, then the baud rate for printing is 115200; if the frequency of the crystal oscillator is 26MHz, then the baud rate for printing is 74880". But for the CPU itself, they say "The CPU clock speed is 80MHz. It can also reach a maximum value of 160MHz"
By GigAHerZ
#24962 In addition to other remarks by others (which are correct), ESP8266 have 1.5 UART ports. (2 outputs if i remember correctly)

And does esp8266 really have some kind of internal temperature sensor? Hmm, i'm not aware of it...

And in the end, i would expect the price to be compared between original items. The prices for arduinos right now are the chinese clones. (And same goes with ESP-12E. The fake ones are really modified ESP-07, the real ones have 4MB (32Mb) flash memory)