Chat freely about anything...

By mendozabar
#25475 Hi! This is my first post, I bought a ESP8266 and I've been experimenting a few problems, first this is my connection:

ESP --> USB UART Interface
VCC --> 3.3Vdc
RST --> 3.3Vdc
TX --> RX
RX --> TX
GND --> GND

My UART interface only generates and use 3.3Vdc and supply100mA

Using this connections, when I power up the module the red led turns on, and the blue led blinks rapidly and then turns off.

Then, with Putty I tried to send AT commands such as AT, and when I send the command the blue led blinks every time I tried to send a command but the terminal do not write anything, even I dont get the "Ready" message when I power up. I tried 9600,57600 and 115200 baud rates and nothing all with \r\n.

After this, I checked the module trying to connect with my latop, and I notice that the network from the ESP is called AI THINKER XXXXX XXX=A bunch of number and letters, this was wierd to me because in the tuts I´ve seen the network is called ESP8266.

so, I have this 2 questions:

Do I have a communication problems?

It is possible that I have a firmware that not accept the AT commands and I need to flash it?

Im new with this device so sorry is this post is in a bad place o it has been solved in another post.

PS Sorry for the bad english.

And thanks
By kolban
#25501 Howdy my friend and welcome to the forum. If you are powering your device with a current source able to give only 100mA then that is a problem right there. The ESP8266 seems to want about 200mA (if not more). Personally, during development, I use an MB102 breadboard power supply but, of course, any source will do as long as it gives 3.3V (never exceed) and more than 200mA of current. If you try and use the ESP8266 with a source that can deliver less current than that, I'm afraid all bets are off.

Neil
By mendozabar
#25604 Thanks for the answer, but just a lil question What does the blued led means? And if Im making it blink I ina good way so far? or not, Im getting an alternative 3.3V supply.
By kolban
#25606 That is actually a great question. I believe the blue LED flashes when the UART0 is active but it may also flash when the device is transmitting ... but those are indeed guesses. Personally, I always attach a "Blinky" LED into my programs (assuming you are flashing new firmware programs). This just gives me sanity that the device is working. I also attach a second USB -> UART connector against UART1 (GPIO2) and use that for constant logging while debugging.

Neil