Chat freely about anything...

By dpux
#26090 Hello everyone ! I am new to this forum.
I have the IDE setup on my Macbook and I am after uploading one of the example sketches, I am struggling with running the code. Following is my setup :

ESP -> USB TTL (3.3 V)
RX -> TX
TX -> RX
GND -> GND
VCC -> 3.3V

And,
ESP -> ESP
VCC -> CH-PD
VCC -> RESET
GND -> GPIO-0

After upload is successful, I am removing GND -> GPIO-0 connection.
And then trying the AT commands as described http://www.esp8266.com/wiki/doku.php?id=getting-started-with-the-esp8266
I can't see any success. I also tried the example WifiClient (after adding my router info), but I can't see any logs over serial monitor.

I have tried various combinations of circuitry over last few days, and started to doubt if the chip I bought is defective.

Thanks !
By tytower
#26110 Don't understand what you mean by "ESP -> ESP" and "ESP -> USB TTL (3.3 V)"

I guess you mean USB to ESP via ftdi connection for the second one but Dunno on first.
The pin connections look right however so check the serial terminal is actually connected and CR/LF are being sent after each command. Try different baud rates until you get an OK or ready back
By dpux
tytower wrote:Don't understand what you mean by "ESP -> ESP" and "ESP -> USB TTL (3.3 V)"

Sorry. I couldn't think of a better way to express.
ESP -> USB TTL meant USB to ESP via FTDI connection.
ESP -> ESP meant I was shorting 2 connections on ESP (for example, VCC -> CH-PD meant both are shorted)

After upload is successful, the blue light keeps flashing for a short duration. I reconnect ESP to my computer, remove the GND to GPIO-0 connection (also tried removing RST-> VCC connection); then launched serial monitor with the correct USB port. On the monitor I type -
AT(followed by ctrl+m and ctrl+j)

Nothing happens. I tried with all baud rates.
By tytower
#26139 I see . OK then what program have you flashed onto the chip?. When you do as you have done it runs the program you have put in it . IE you uploaded an example sketch . Which sketch? Thats what its doing so if the sketch has no serial output you will not see any serial output.

Normally the chip is wired as you have it and before anything is uploaded to it it will answer the AT commands as per your intro . I'm not familiar with whether it will answer AT commands when a sketch is running but I suppose it can as people write the programs in AT commands and then upload them too.

Someone else might be able to help you there.