Chat freely about anything...

By pfalcon
#42148 @martinayotte: Thanks!

List of stretch goals unlocked during the campaign:

• GBP 8,000 unlocked! - We will implement a module or major feature as voted by backers. Voting to be held after the campaign end to include all backers.
  • GBP 10,000 unlocked! - We will implement a second module or major feature as voted by backers.
  • GBP 12,000 unlocked! - We will release the source code on GitHub as soon as the campaign ends.
  • GBP 15,000 unlocked! - We will develop, test and document a suite of drivers for environmental sensors that can run on the ESP8266 (and other MicroPython boards). The sensors are (subject to actually being compatible with the ESP8266): DS18B20: 1-wire temperature sensor; DHT22: temperature and humidity sensor; BMP180: I2C temperature and pressure sensor; HDC1008: I2C temperature and humidity sensor; MCP9808: I2C temperature sensor; TSL2561: I2C light sensor; LSM303DLHC: I2C accelerometer and compass (magnetometer); L3GD20H: I2C gyroscope; HTU21D: I2C temperature and humidity sensor.
  • GBP 18,000 unlocked! - We will implement a simple micro database on the ESP8266. Details are not worked out, but likely it would be stored in flash and allow you to do simple key/value storage and lookup.
  • GBP 20,000 unlocked! - We will implement a native emitter for the ESP8266 (Xtensa architecture). This will allow you to use @micropython.native, @micropython.viper and @micropython.asm_xtensa decorators to write code that runs faster than normal Python bytecode.
  • GBP 23,000 unlocked! - We will add support for running "upip" on the ESP8266. upip is a package manager for MicroPython modules (similar to CPython's pip) and will allow you to install Python modules on your ESP board's filesystem directly from the internet (without it, you would need to download needed modules manually to your PC, unpack them, and then transfer to your module - upip automates these steps).
  • GBP 26,000 unlocked! - We will implement integrated asyncio support for the ESP8266 (via MicroPython's uasyncio module).

Final ongoing goal, based on good arguments from the backers: For each GBP500 that we get beyond GBP26,000 we will make a video tutorial on using some feature of MicroPython on the ESP8266. The crowdfunding campaign is in its final hours, only 30 hours left at the time of post!
By pfalcon
#42196 Almost forgot - there was another interesting update about history of ESP8266 reverse engineering and peculiarities of the architecture: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/21 ... ts/1501224 . Long-time forum readers may get a warm feeling of nostalgia remembering how it all started - right here, on the forum, and newcomers may find it an interesting summary too.