Chat freely about anything...

By cendev
alonewolfx2 wrote:
cendev wrote:That 1 time gives me a great hope.. As i mentioned, Modules draw 25~mA :/ also tried some gpio16 And rst pin combinations.. No response..

Maybe esp07 have issue with chpd as amatron said. 25~mA mean module working but not activated maybe. can you try this ?

I also suspected about that And tried to set Chip enable high Directly from THE Chip But nope.. But i was in a hurry so not sure about CHPd issue. Will give it a shot Again
By gerardwr
gerardwr wrote:I have an ESP-01 running, and today I got an ESP-07 (from Banggood) "in". I just started connecting it.

Maybe my fresh ESP-07 experience helps, maybe not:
- On my ESP-7 (from Banggood) the Power LED is RED (not BLUE), it lights up when the power lines are connected (duh!)
- When powered on, and you then connect CH-PD to Vcc, the BLUE LED flashes shortly. On the ESP-01 the Blue led is connected to the ESP-TX line. It flashes because the bootloader is sending serial output on the ESP-TX line, guess it's the same for the ESP-07.
- If you don't see the BLUE LED flashing with these 3 connections, I guess you're in real trouble.

<snip>

That's all the help I can give you right now, now returning to further connecting my own ESP-07. Nice board!!

Update 10-1-2015
-----------------------
I just soldered 2 8-pin 0.1 headers to my ESP-07 (from Banggood with RED power LED) to be able to use it in a breadboard.

This is what I did:
- place the 2 8-pin 0.1" headers in the breadboard
- place the ESP-07 on the headers (I used PCB up for easier access to the pins for the soldering iron)
- bend the pins from the header to handle the 2mm to 0.1" difference
- solder the pins to the pads
Was easier than I expected, and the construction feels "solid" :-)

Have a look at the (horrible) picture:
esp07 op breadboard.jpg

After connecting the ESP-07 booted OK, connections to a PL2302 USB-to_serial adapter are:
Code: Select allPL2303   ESP
3.3V     Vcc + CH-PD
GND      GND + GPIO15
TX       RX
RX       TX

The LOG below show some commands and output (using Coolterm @9600baud + CRLF)
Code: Select allAT+RST

OK
$J.
..S:
...]?.HW...
rc...F..Q..HH....5

AT+GMR
compiled @ Dec 15 2014 19:43:31
AITHINKER-20141206
OK

By setting GPIO0 to GND and then RESET I successfully flashed another firmware on my ESP-07.

So my ESP-07 behaves "normal".

Unfortunately this probably doesn't help the people with problems with the ESP-07 with the BLUE power LED :-(
Last edited by gerardwr on Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By ecotpl0721
#6906 At this point I am feeling like they botched a batch of ESP-07's. I haven't heard anything from my supplier since I provided my layouts, diagrams, and tests, not a very good sign. I have seen a myriad of modules now with varying production qualities from very neat and precise to simply sloppy. I understand the popularity of the chip for what it is and the price point. The possibilities and implementations are endless.

The community is great here, Espressif is really dropping the ball. Someone from Espressif should be all over these posts popping in and offering advice as well as updated documentation.

Quite honestly TI is no better with their CC series WiFi SOC's except they have a far higher price per module but at least they provide verbose documentation.

It seems everybody and their cousin in the Asian electronics markets are selling these like crazy. Flip-flopped silkscreen labeling and the like are all problems. Does anyone know of a verifiable and highly reputable supplier that is known to be responsible and work hand-in-hand with Espressif?

Espressif doesn't seem to want to communicate with anyone unless you sign their NDA and want a crapload of chips.

I am not at the point where I need 1,000 chips just yet and at this point I feel that I cannot move forward on some of the projects planned due to all of the factors.

Imagine if Espressif actually gave the tiniest bit of support to the community and implemented some sort of better quality control, for instance maybe insisting upon and enforcing using the same color led indicators consistently and in the proper positions would be superb. I imagine any PCB production house that wants to produce ESP8266 modules simply does it. What makes it worse is the lack of direct and proper documentation.

Aditionally tweets to Espressif simply get favorited with no response at all to said issues.

I really want to succeed with Espressif, but they aren't making it easy.
By gerardwr
ecotpl0721 wrote:Does anyone know of a verifiable and highly reputable supplier that is known to be responsible and work hand-in-hand with Espressif?

I have ordered ESP-01 and ESP-12 from Electrodragon, and are happy with them. They are not the cheapest on the market, but:
- they delivered my orders to europe in 1-2 weeks, very well packed
- When I had trouble with getting my ESP-01 to run they were very responsive and very friendly and helpful in getting the trouble solved.
- They have quite good information on their website on the ESP8266
- They seem to have "good press" in the community
- Not sure if they have a direct link with Espressif.

Just a happy customer.