Chat freely about anything...

By SteveBaker
#57657 I had been playing with a bunch of ESP-01 boards, having a fair degree of success once I got to grips with the more timer/event driven programming model. But I needed more I/O's - so I bought a bunch of ESP-12F's - which have "ai-thinker" printed on their metal cases.

I wired up an 8 pin connector so I could plug my ESP-12F into the same socket that I'd been using to flash and test the ESP-01's. With that harness, I can flash the memory, run programs, and do *ALMOST* everything I can do with the ESP-01. Most things work identically...but not all...which is worrying.

Using my existing (native) code, I can probe the ROM software - and ask what version it is. The ESP12F claims to have "boot-version" 5 - where the ESP-01 has "boot-version" 6.

I don't think this can be re-written. It's not flash memory - it's ROM...right?

There are other differences too. The simplest "blink the TX LED" code doesn't work on the '12F'...even if I recode it to write directly to the I/O port registers! Yet the LED does flash when I flash it (for example).

Also when I run code to access my WiFi router and serve some HTML files - which is working just great on the ESP-01, it doesn't run worth a damn on the 12F module.

Other things (reading and writing the serial port, for example) work just fine.

It's confusing because there are so many subtly different ESP modules - but clearly they aren't remotely identical...which is going to make matters harder in the future.
By Sbraaa
nobugz wrote:Hello.

My board has EXACTLY the same behaviour:

• Red power LED.
  • RGB LED faint green.
  • Can connect to AI-THINKER AP, but no asked for password.
  • Android app can not connect with the board.

The board is exactly like the one shown on this picture.

Did you find a solution? Anyone else can help?

Regards.

After a while I've decide to use this dev board for other project. Unfortunately I'm unable to flash it.
I've tried using a couple of TTL programmer (CP2112 and CH340 based) but without success. :(
I've tried using TX and RX in the bottom of the board and then the ones in the right upper corner but no success at all (before someone ask : yes! obviously I put the jumper to set it in flash mode!).
I've used only TX and RX pin from TLL using battery pack to power the dev board... could this be my fault?
By schufti
#79394 a) hopefully you not only connected tx and rx but gnd also.
b) maybe there is a problem with the procedure:
1) connect usb-serial converter
2) set jumper
3) reset or alternatively power on board
4) start flashing
5) remove jumper
6) reset or power off/on board
this should get you going.
depending on the us-serial converter it might be necessary to
a) remove rx/tx before 6)
b) cross over rx/tx
By QuickFix
#79396 These boards are known for having misleading labels.
Instead of connection RX of board to TX of convertor (and vice versa) you have to connect RX to RX and TX to TX. :idea: