Post topics, source code that relate to the Arduino Platform

By mjtimblin
#6503 I have posted this same post on the Arduino Forum, but I haven't got many responses yet. I am a beginner when it comes to WIFI modules and communicating with them. I have looked at the Esp8266EasyIoT, but it looks like it requires a raspberry pi to run the server on. I don't have a raspberry pi, but I will be able to run a server on a desktop or laptop. I have included my original post on the Arduino Forum below. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help!

"Hello!
I am working on a thermostat that will be controlled by an Atmega328 chip with, a 10k NTC thermistor, tactile switches, relays, a 16x2 LCD screen. I programming the ATmega328 chip and soldering it to some perfboard with the other components. I have the code, and I can create the thermostat itself, but I want to add WIFI capability to the thermostat with an ESP8266. My goal is to change the temperature, view the temperature, and turn on the furnace using a computer or smartphone. The problem that I am encountering is that I am finding next to for how to upload and download information using the ESP8266. I know it is possible, but I don't know how. I know that I will probably have to host a server on a computer, and I am ok with that, but I don't know how to communicate with the ESP8266. I am still somewhat of a beginner. So, please excuse my incompetence. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!"
By gwizz
#6521 If you just want to use the esp8266 as a transparent bridge to wifi then there is a github project here: https://github.com/beckdac/ESP8266-transparent-bridge and some people (Lawrence I think) who report this working.

However, I would consider if you can replace the atmega entirely and just drive the lcd, measure resistance, switches and operate relays all from the esp itself?

With a ESP-12 module you'd probably have enough IO to do all that and still have enough to control the backlight etc.

Either way, sounds like a great project - good luck and please share your progress if possible! :D
By EasyIoT
mjtimblin wrote:I have posted this same post on the Arduino Forum, but I haven't got many responses yet. I am a beginner when it comes to WIFI modules and communicating with them. I have looked at the Esp8266EasyIoT, but it looks like it requires a raspberry pi to run the server on. I don't have a raspberry pi, but I will be able to run a server on a desktop or laptop. I have included my original post on the Arduino Forum below. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help!

"Hello!
I am working on a thermostat that will be controlled by an Atmega328 chip with, a 10k NTC thermistor, tactile switches, relays, a 16x2 LCD screen. I programming the ATmega328 chip and soldering it to some perfboard with the other components. I have the code, and I can create the thermostat itself, but I want to add WIFI capability to the thermostat with an ESP8266. My goal is to change the temperature, view the temperature, and turn on the furnace using a computer or smartphone. The problem that I am encountering is that I am finding next to for how to upload and download information using the ESP8266. I know it is possible, but I don't know how. I know that I will probably have to host a server on a computer, and I am ok with that, but I don't know how to communicate with the ESP8266. I am still somewhat of a beginner. So, please excuse my incompetence. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!"

Hi, I'm also working on Arduino ESP8266 WiFi thermostat. It's a little bit more complicated because I'm using Arduino Mega 2560 and touch screen. The code will be available on my githb.Here is picture:

I'm using ESP8266EasyIoT library. But you gave me good idea. I can prepare EasyIoT server for windows machine. It will be without Raspberry Pi dependent components like NRF24L01 mysensors driver and GPIO driver. Without those components EasyIoT can work on desktop machine.