Post topics, source code that relate to the Arduino Platform

By tilz0R
#6704 Hi,

I'm planning to make Arduino compatible shield with ESP8266 wifi and microSD card connector.
Also, with level translators, so shield can be compatible with UNO (5V) and DUE (3V) and to all other arduino compatible boards (STM32 Nucleo..).

Now the question:
which ESP-Module should I use for soldering there?
I don't wanna solder bare chip, I was thinking about ESP12 module.

Any ideas about that?

Thanks for answering.

PS: Shield will be free software for all.
Last edited by tilz0R on Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Skutch
#6732 Hi,

At the moment I'm making an Eagle library with different modules, to create a shield/standalone board as well. I haven't done nr. 12 yet.

There's quite a lot of room on an Arduino-shield.

I'm thinking of placing several (4-6) footprints for different modules on a single board. I won't be using modules without onboard antenna/ufl-connector.
I'm thinking of making all arduino pins available onboard and connect all modules to a single connector. That way the user has a total freedom to connect the shield any way he likes, with or without arduino.

It even leaves room for a prototype area and maybe a 3.3v regulator circuit, but I haven't decided yet.

I advise anyone who want to use my library to tripple check both my modules and modules bought. Quite a lot of modules of the same type(s) are apparently sold with all kinds of differences. (And if that warning doesn't sound serious enough, after having designed 10-12 components, I've used this opportunity to finally get some practice....)

So, feel free to use any way you like, but... use at own risk, https://www.dropbox.com/s/uy382d4a45jl51h/esp8266modules.lbr?dl=0
By tilz0R
#6735 Huh, thanks for libs.

Well, I've make some look at ESP-07. On google I've found different pin mapping as you have in your PCB library.
Don't know which is right now.

Edit: I've found different ESP-07 pin layouts on google images.
By Kalix
#6771 Hi tilz0R,

I came across the same problem while selecting an esp board version for my projects.
My choice was to use the ESP-11 which can be soldered onto SO-16 1.27mm pads.
The nice this is that it also allows for using the module with wires soldered on it.

Maybe take a look at the pictures in this thread to see what I mean:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=585

Also please keep in mind that the ESP8266 can draw a 300mA peak current so it can not draw power directly from the UNO / DUE.