Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By Sibbele Oosterhaven
#89317 For several years now, I'm working on a project, based on ESPHelper (about 15 ESP8266-01/03 working together in a MQTT environment). It always worked like a charm. But suddenly (around 1/11/2020), from one day to the next (after an unforseen update??), I got exceptions (exc. 28) and panics as soon as a connection is established with my router (both Cisco EPC 3925 and RPi). This is what happens (reduced to the bare minimum, based on a ESPHelper example):

First time execution, after uploading -> OK, with both MQTT publishing and subscribing.
Second time execution, after hardware reset -> BOOTLOOP with exceptions (Panic umm_malloc.cpp:458 umm_malloc_core or exception 28).
Successive executions fail (-> BOOTLOOP), unless I first upload this sketch (the 2 lines below) and then upload and execute the BasicUse-sketch again.

void setup() {
WiFi.softAPdisconnect(true);
WiFi.disconnect(true);
}

Nothing, up to now, helps (tried ESP.eraseConfig(); complete erase with esptools) although wifiManager.resetSettings(); seems to be of influence on the process.
What's suddenly wrong. It worked for years. I can't wrap me head around it. Is there a problem with access to the saved wifi credentials? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

ESPHelper example: BasicUse (with Arduino 1.8.13 and ESP-core 2.7.4)

Sibbele Oosterhaven

Attachtment:
Example code basicUse (ESPHelper), with stack dump and output Exception decoder
By RichardS
#89323 Sorry I can not help with the issue, BUT I always tell people when working with Arduino, always take note what libs you are using and once working do not upgrade libs unless you check them yourself to see what changed! At the bottom of my files I add this.... so I know how to recover if things change.

#if 0
ESP32 build:
Using library WiFi at version 1.0 in folder: C: \Users\Richard\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp32\hardware\esp32\1.0.4\libraries\WiFi
Using library WebServer at version 1.0 in folder: C: \Users\Richard\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp32\hardware\esp32\1.0.4\libraries\WebServer
Using library Update at version 1.0 in folder: C: \Users\Richard\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp32\hardware\esp32\1.0.4\libraries\Update
Using library EEPROM at version 1.0.3 in folder: C: \Users\Richard\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp32\hardware\esp32\1.0.4\libraries\EEPROM
Using library FastLED at version 3.3.3 in folder: C: \Users\Richard\sketchbook\libraries\FastLED
Using library Arduino_APDS9960 at version 1.0.3 in folder: C: \Users\Richard\sketchbook\libraries\Arduino_APDS9960
Using library Wire at version 1.0.1 in folder: C: \Users\Richard\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp32\hardware\esp32\1.0.4\libraries\Wire
Using library WebSockets at version 2.3.0 in folder: C: \Users\Richard\sketchbook\libraries\WebSockets
Using library WiFiClientSecure at version 1.0 in folder: C: \Users\Richard\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp32\hardware\esp32\1.0.4\libraries\WiFiClientSecure
Using library FS at version 1.0 in folder: C: \Users\Richard\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp32\hardware\esp32\1.0.4\libraries\FS
#endif