Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By Necromant
0ff wrote:If it'd be of any help for you, I could send you a working example of OTA update?

No need, it will be redone from scratch. Basically I want it to be like this: You type 'upgrade http://192.168.0.1 80', it fetches all firmware files from external webserver, does any needed security checks and copies them to upper 256KiB of flash. Once the transfer is complete - copies it from the upper to the lower part of flash and erases the upper flash part. Later you can instruct your ESPs to do that automagically once in a while.
By tinhead
Necromant wrote:
tinhead wrote:aha, and how you handling then the configuration for the SoC once spi flash wiped out?

Nope. I just used that to reproduce endless exceptions/reboots on my modules. Once wiped, blobs will write ap configuration into thelast few KiBs of flash no matter what. actually, each time you configure AP or join a network - blobs write thatdata to SPI flash. With password in plain text (Doh!).

i said "SoC configuration", not firmware configuration.

SoC config is something like e.g. crystal frequency, test signal en/disable, bt co-existence, etc.
By Necromant
tinhead wrote: i said "SoC configuration", not firmware configuration.

SoC config is something like e.g. crystal frequency, test signal en/disable, bt co-existence, etc.

Did I miss something? Is that really stored in spi flash? For I've wiped my module's flash clean several times already during development, and checked that with flashrom (Btw, wonder if it will chew up the 8MiB flash upgrade). If that's really stored there, my module would have been pretty much screwed, but it works. The only thing I found in flash that's bot actually handled by user firmware - something at the last 8KiB of SPI flash, where all AP and sta settings go automagically. As far as I could see - There were 2x4KiB erase blocks for them. One for STA, one for AP.