Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By MarekB
#6867 ok, tested it with:
Code: Select allint16_t test(int16_t p1, int16_t p2, int16_t p3, int16_t p4, int16_t p5, int16_t p6, int16_t p7, int16_t p8)
{
   return p1 + p2 + p3 + p4 + p5 + p6 + p7 + p8;
}

and it was causing restarts with the old toolchain I had. With the new one from you it runs fine so thanks for that. Btw. Is there any advantage in having a 64bit toolchain vs a 32bit one?
And if you get some time, feel free to write about how you compile the toolchain ;)
By peteben
#6905 Glad that it's working for you now.
I don't know if there is any advantage to having a 64bit compiler. I recompiled it because 32bit allows it to be used by more people.

To compile I used mobyfab's script from this post:http://www.esp8266.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=224&start=120.

Of course It didn't work out of the box. I had to add a bunch of stuff to the minGW install, and tweak the makefiles a bit.
It shouldn't be necessary, but if you want to compile it yourself, I will post my makefile.

Pete
By MarekB
#7010 Yep, it would be great together with description of "add a bunch of stuff to the minGW".
Not that I am gonna compile it immediately after you post the makefile but I see jcmvbkbc is still doing updates to gcc-xtensa and crosstool-NG (last one from 12 days ago). Not sure how critical those updates are but in case I feel really desperate while trying to make some obvious code work (took me a few moments to figure out those 5 params) I might try to compile and use the latest toolchain (rather than bothering you about compiling one ;) ).
By jcmvbkbc
MarekB wrote:I see jcmvbkbc is still doing updates to gcc-xtensa and crosstool-NG (last one from 12 days ago). Not sure how critical those updates are

Nothing critical since 2014-11-10. I'm putting short summary to crosstool-NG sync-with-gcc commits, like that: https://github.com/jcmvbkbc/crosstool-N ... 39cc3cc0ad