Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By chandan2002x
#1571 mamalala, can you please share the details how to generate the bin files. I am stuck there. Somehow, "make" is working. But, the said bin files are not generating at the location you said. No error also.
I have compiled the esp8266_sdk_v0.9.1.

I have tried to manage the whole compilation process.
Downloaded the 1.6GB VM Image for XP-SP3 [Tips: get the download link by regular method and put it in IDM. The download may stop after 1 hrs, re-gain the new downlink and add the new link to IDM to resume the download] as posted by Hackrid at 1st page
translated:
ESP8266's specifications and design reference documents and ESP8266 the HDK and SDK
original: original link
...I'm currently downloading it, can't yet tell whats inside ;)

At the end, you will get a virtual-machine image of XP-SP3 in CHINESE. I tried to change the language by registry modification, but failed :(. It may destroy your Image. If so, start the VM with "last known configuration" mode by pressing F8 at starting.

However, mamalala, also share a good resource, that is very light.
First, you need to either install a VM with Windows, or use your Windows Machine. I tested this with Win 7, no idea if later versions also work. Once you got Win up and running, go to https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=C4DDF72E ... EA3826!631 and download the ESP-IOT-SDK-NOVM file. Unpack the ZIP archive, that will give you another archive and a readme. Unpack the new RAR archive, and then start the resulting EXE, this is a self-extracting archive. Let it extract directly to C:\

This link is excellent except the licensing issue. And, only for that issue, we are bound to use [till now] the 1.6GB chinese VM image. However, I have extracted and copied the License files from chinese VM image and that seems to work in regular XP based host too, please check it and confirm [as I was not able to check it as my host is Win7]. Let me how how to configure it in Win7.

However, there are guidelines, if you are planning to use that 1.6GB chinese XP VM image.

1. If you are using VMware, install VMtools [Add CD drive/image, that will allow to share folder]
2. Copy the SDK [esp8266_sdk_v0.9.1 or esp_iot_sdk_v0.6] to VM.

You are ready to go.
1. Turn off internet of VM.
2. Set the date of VM before July,2014
3. Run the license server by opening "Xtensa" shortcut [Shortcut looks like a 'hard drive', not the 'X' symbol] placed at desktop to run the License demon. It is a server based license which is called and managed by couple of other xtensa exe files. However, I have attached the copy of License, you may try to install to your XP system [In Win7, it is not running properly, and I did not risk my host also. To run it on, place the License directory inside "C:\usr\xtensa" and run the file xtensa.bat. It should open three dos window and one must be live which will indicating the process against the xtensa compilation process]
4. Once, the License manager is running, and one dos console is active, you can start the eclipse IDE. I am really fucked up to handle that foolish ugly toolchain, the Makefiles needs to be modified or the library must be indicated properly to IDE. But you may try, its good IDE to handle the codes.
5. However, I followed the instruction from "mamalala" and used the xtensa command-prompt handle. And that was able to compile the code.
However, still now I did not get the valid bin [or I am not able to locate it]

Thanks
CM
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by chandan2002x on Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.