Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By Squonk
#421 Thank you for the update!

Hopefully, we will have a positive answer...

Having a free GNU toolchain for the ESP8266 would be great, of course.

But it is really difficult to get public information regarding the XTensa CPU range, ISA, and even harder to know what is inside the ESP8266 SoC besides the block diagram in the datasheet, which is not detailed enough to be useful. Maybe Espressif could provide a more detailed diagram and a memory map?
By RichardS
Squonk wrote:But it is really difficult to get public information regarding the XTensa CPU range, ISA, and even harder to know what is inside the ESP8266 SoC besides the block diagram in the datasheet, which is not detailed enough to be useful. Maybe Espressif could provide a more detailed diagram and a memory map?

I will talk to Espressif again today and ask...

Richard.
By obvy
But it is really difficult to get public information regarding the XTensa CPU range, ISA

Not hard at all, I was able to find all the needed information on the 1st day after couple of hours of googling. Not all information available directly from Tensilica, because well, there's no more Tensilica, and not all information available from Cadence, because, well 106Micro core is 7+ years old, and you can't give customers same old stuff you gave years ago. But in general, the situation is better than many other more known vendors.

But I agree they should do even better, if they want to compete in modern markets, especially that the era of open-source cores is coming.
By Squonk
#427 Let's say that something like:
SDK Evaluation Request

Use this form to request a new evaluation of Cadence's Tensilica® Software Development Toolkit, or to extend an existing evaluation. These requests have an approval process and our sales representative in your region may contact you first.

Or:
Please provide as much information as you can so we can verify that this is a genuine request - we must be able to contact you.

PLEASE USE YOUR COMPANY EMAIL ADDRESS
(it will be rejected otherwise)

... is acting like a repellent for a hobbyist!