Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By Sprite_tm
#183 Hehe, I arrived at the same point. Just commented out the offending instructions in crt*.S, which made the thing compile further, which made me hopeful... only to run into the same problem as I had before again :X
By jcmvbkbc
Sprite_tm wrote:To be honest, apart from all the madness of getting crosstool-ng to actually build with the overlay, I think the overlay itself may be broken or incompatible with gcc. I have tried crosstool-ng and building my own toolchain, with the most recent gcc/binutils (2.22 and 4.9) and with a binutils/gcc that was current at the time of release of the overlay files (2.18 and 3.4.6), and every single time I get stuck on an error that eventually boils down to:
Code: Select all/tmp/ccOHD9T1.s:19: Error: unknown opcode or format name 'entry'
/tmp/ccOHD9T1.s:29: Error: unknown opcode or format name 'retw.n'

In other words: the compiled cross-compiler spits out mnemonics the compiled cross-assembler in binutils can't make heads or tails of.

That most probably means that overlay was not correctly applied to gcc: gcc/include/xtensa-config.h in the crosstool build directory and in the overlay should match.
By Sprite_tm
jcmvbkbc wrote:That most probably means that overlay was not correctly applied to gcc: gcc/include/xtensa-config.h in the crosstool build directory and in the overlay should match.

Just checked it: it is indeed the same. *something* is emitting enter/retw.n-opcodes without minding the fact that the toolchain is configured not to. It's unfortunate I'm completely new to the gcc source codes; let's hope Tensilica comes up with something.