Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By nevyn
Freeck wrote:I finally got my Olimex-tiny-h jtag interface working with xt-ocd (posted in this thread) thanks to the tutorial of VisualGDB. Special attention for the ftdi driver supplied by UsbDriverTools, after installing the driver supplied ( instead of the "tested" ftdi-driver posted in this thread) downloading code went much faster, and the single stepping process much smoother...
Debugging options via the esp8266's jtag interface are limited, only one hardware breakpoint, and the stability is not as is should be, but I am very happy to be able debugging my code via jtag-interface.

What sort of problems did you have and what solutions did you come up with?

I've been trying to get this going for a few days now and just keep hitting one problem after another. I've been trying this with the Olimex-Tiny-H and the Segger J-Link (Edu) and I'm not having much luck.

Regards,
Mark
By Freeck
#29109 I literally followed all steps of the VisualGDB-tutorial.
Before that I used the wrong version of xt-ocd.exe , and I installed the old ftdi-driver from Olimex, resulting in very bad performance and instability.
Now stability is still is an aspect of great concern: you very often have to restart the VisualGDB-debugger, and/or power down or reset the esp8266.....
Sometimes the chip,wont flash anymore repeatedly. My workaround, no guarantee, is to power down the chip for lets say half an hour , et voila, the download to the flash was succesfull again.

So you have to very patient debugging via jtag. In the meantime I have inserted printf statements to the serial port to monitor real time issues.....
By nevyn
Freeck wrote:I literally followed all steps of the VisualGDB-tutorial.
Before that I used the wrong version of xt-ocd.exe , and I installed the old ftdi-driver from Olimex, resulting in very bad performance and instability.
Now stability is still is an aspect of great concern: you very often have to restart the VisualGDB-debugger, and/or power down or reset the esp8266.....
Sometimes the chip,wont flash anymore repeatedly. My workaround, no guarantee, is to power down the chip for lets say half an hour , et voila, the download to the flash was succesfull again.

So you have to very patient debugging via jtag. In the meantime I have inserted printf statements to the serial port to monitor real time issues.....

Turned out I had a wiring problem, I now have this running with the Segger J-Link.

Regards,
Mark
By Freeck
#30499 I am using Eclipse to develop and debug. Now I try to download an image to the target via a jtag device. But during loading the image a memory exception occurs, probably caused by accessing the spi-flash area. I already noticed in another thread that flashing via gdb/Xt-ocd is not an option, true?
So the question would be: how to download an image into the spi-flash via the jtag interface?

Any assistance would be welcome. Thanks.