Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By mamalala
jcmvbkbc wrote:I'll try to find out if xtensa newlib port can be published.

The newlib directory in the src dir somewhere in XtDevTools has a GPL license attached to it. The source files for the libhal have the following blurb regarding permissions:

Code: Select all// Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining
// a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the
// "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including
// without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish,
// distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to
// permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to
// the following conditions:
//
// The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included
// in all copies or substantial portions of the Software

All the include files from that stuff that are required to compile the libhal have the same blurb (at least i deleted the ones that said something about confidential, and it still compiles just fine).

I guess the same applies to whatever is needed to compile that newlib tree, since they otherwise would run afoul of the GPL that is attached to it.

I have uploaded an archive with that stuff to http://atelier-klippel.de/xtensa_libs.tgz. I did a crude editing of the Makefile.src in the hal lib directory and renamed it to Makefile. Of course the paths righ at the beginning need to be adapted to the local environment.

Would be really great if someone could get that newlib to automake/compile in an easy way, i was unable to fix that. As said, i was able to get it to compile, but with an awkwardly long command line, and even then i needed to manually edit the generated makefile to get it to use the xtensa-lx106-elf-ar from the gcc. But my knowledge of that automake stuff is basically limited to just call the script and be done with it...

Greetings,

Chris
By jcmvbkbc
mamalala wrote:

The newlib directory in the src dir somewhere in XtDevTools has a GPL license attached to it. The source files for the libhal have the following blurb regarding permissions:

I'm not even remotely a lawyer, but I've always had a feeling that license terms are applicable only if the software is possessed rightfully.
I didn't follow the VM story closely, but its origin seems a bit dubious to me.
By mamalala
jcmvbkbc wrote:
mamalala wrote:

I'm not even remotely a lawyer, but I've always had a feeling that license terms are applicable only if the software is possessed rightfully.
I didn't follow the VM story closely, but its origin seems a bit dubious to me.

I don't see a problem here. newlib is GPL, it doesn't really matter where one gets it from. In fact, they are more or less required to hand it out if anyone asks them, anyways. I had several occasions where manufacturers used and modified GPL'd stuff and refused to hand it out on request. Going through the either the FSF or gpl-violations.org resolved these issues pretty quickly, having those manufacturers handing it out in the end.

As for libhal stuff, the blurb explicitly states "...to any person obtaining a copy...", with no exceptions as to how the obtaining part has to go. For all anyone should care, someone using that stuff legally just handed it over.

Greetings,

Chris