Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By jcmvbkbc
mahadevan wrote:Here I have some build failures.

Yeah, you'd need some development packages installed to build gcc: libgomp, libmpc, mpfr, and expat to build gdb. Sorry, I'm always forgetting that.

mahadevan wrote:OTOH, I have already cloned this tree, but as prepare.sh does refer the .tar.bz2 . So I did not proceed with this tree, as I am not sure how to run prepare.sh/etc

prepare.sh will unpack archives only when there are no directories with corresponding names. If directories exist it will only copy overlay files into them.
By Squonk
#1088 Thank you jcmvbkbc and mamalala, great work!

I haven't tried yet, but it looks quite easy. However, It may be interesting to automatically check for the prerequisites to avoid sibylline error messages while compiling.

Another suggestion would be to have all the required sources into a single git repository (including binutils, gdb and newlib), so you just have to clone the repository and compile. This will enable sharing future updates by just pulling them in one single place.
By RichardS
#1089 @Squonk

I have created a ESP8266 account on github so anyone wanting to put stuff up there and I give access to, maybe PM me for details.

Richard.
By mamalala
Squonk wrote:Thank you jcmvbkbc and mamalala, great work!

I haven't tried yet, but it looks quite easy. However, It may be interesting to automatically check for the prerequisites to avoid sibylline error messages while compiling.

Another suggestion would be to have all the required sources into a single git repository (including binutils, gdb and newlib), so you just have to clone the repository and compile. This will enable sharing future updates by just pulling them in one single place.

Thanks!

However, most of the credits should go to jcmvbkbc. Without his work on the lx106 support for GCC i could have done nothing. Well, in fact i really didn't do anything anyways, just tested it out and compiled some stuff with it.

Yes, a GIT repo would be great. Another user just PM'd me about some bugfixes in my esptool and asked if i have a repo. Told him to join me in the chat for now (on freenode.net, channel #mamalala) or send me an eMail. So yes, it would be great to have GIT to put it all up.

So, Mr. admin, PM us the nasty details of the GITty stuff ;)

Greetings,

Chris