Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By deadbok
#36143 Whether to use hardware/software debugging is a somewhat "religious" choice, I think. I tried the gdbstub, very briefly, had to change a lot in my Makefiles, did not quite work, and I really have more IO pins than RAM and flash to spare. Besides JTAG should work even when the gdbstub has crashed?

There is an OpenOCD fork (https://github.com/sysprogs/esp8266-openocd) that has ESP8266 support, it needs a little work to compile on Linux though. I believe I still have the modifications if anybody is interested, it compiles, but I'm not sure my modifications are sound.

Freeck wrote:Then why did you not use xt-ocd or gdbstub on Linux? Xt-ocd does not support Altera USB Blaster. I do not know what the status of the latests OpenOCD driver is, but I assume that it does support Altera Usb-blaster.

I would recommend to leave jtag , it is rather instable and it takes 4 IO pins...

Instead consider using this option: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6932. Although the present Gdbstub-version has some drawbacks: it takes iram, and has a bug (single stepping not working correctly under all circumstances) , I am satisfied with this option so far.