Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By scargill
#3428 Advice.. if you consider the Lua route - from the start you need to consider RAM. The current implementation has almost no ram left (his idea of storing functions in "files" is good as the functions are in Flash that way) - and the heap collection is currently worse than useless.

scargill wrote:For my money, embedding LUA would be WAY more useful than mySQL.. but then - Telnet and the Bridge make that board into something useable - the rest is icing.

Necromant wrote:
zz9pa wrote:If you're adding bits :)

Linked from that onewire library is :
http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_IRremote.html

Is there any chance of getting something like that included ? (if you're taking requests!)

(One of my goals for playing with the esp8266 is to get some IR proxying over the internet working -ie. receive IR on one board - relay it, and fire it out of another)

If you implement it yourself and send a pull-request - I'll gladly merge.
I've still got a huge todo list for frankenstein.

Namely, console subsystem needs refactoring. When done right we'll be able to use telnet to connect to frankenstein shell instead of only uart. Afterwards - UART/TCP bridge mode. Will be pretty simple to implement, after refactoring's done. Next will properly be either embedded lua (if nodemcu guys won't open up, which I doubt they will. Not being open screws up pretty much the whoe idea of their firmware. Weird folk.) or mysql-client, which was my original plan for frankenstein. I wanted a way to just run mysql queries on a database via uart.
By ofuzzy1
#3491 Hi Necromant, et al.

Awesome Job!

I was hoping someone can add a2d & i2c[read | write] functionality to the this. I'm a hardware guy.

If you promise to, I'll gladly send you an i2c board I recently made.
-- 16 iO, RTCC [ds1307 real time clock], Serial Eprom [8pin dip socket, any size up to 32 Gbit]
-- 1"x3" with lots of 0.1" pin headers
-- Microchip mcp23017 for 16 iO with 8 pins wired [with cut-able jumpers] to an uln2008 - 500ma power driver @ 50Vmax [8 ch darlington stepper motor driver]
-- mcp23017 has cut jumpers for it's address, up to 8 on a bus.

Adding i2c Opens a huge world of iO to even the -01 chip.

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/12179.pdf
By Necromant
#3519 The shouldn't be a very big problem to add i2c bitbang on gpio0 & 2 (hardware i2c isn't broken out on my moules), same goes for that i2c gpio expander. I might add it some time I have a spare minute.

However if you really want to drive a stepper with this - you've got to do all the stepping from frankenstein firmware itself, not by piping i2c commands into the serial port. Otherwise you want be able to be timing-precise. And the actual commands have to be specific to your application, it's difficult to make something super-generic here, that will suit everyone. If you saw the sources - I've designed the whole thing to be very easy to hack on.

ofuzzy1 wrote:If you promise to, I'll gladly send you an i2c board I recently made.

Well, thanks for the offer, but I'm afraid even if you send it right now I'll get it somewhere in spring. If I'm damn lucky. For I happen to live Russia, and we have really slow post (That's their unofficial logo). Last year it took them till summer to sort out the christmas flow of parcels, and I doubt it will be much better this year.

Advice.. if you consider the Lua route - from the start you need to consider RAM. The current implementation has almost no ram left (his idea of storing functions in "files" is good as the functions are in Flash that way) - and the heap collection is currently worse than useless.

Actually, If you saw the buildsystem frankenstein uses and it's overall design - it's made to be modular and configurable. Most of features can be turned on and off, so if you're short on ram - you can always fire up menuconfig, turn off things you don't need and rebuild from source. It's no rocket science. But as for now - all features fit in one image.
By DeadRabbit
#3786 I'm sorry, but I am not getting it work...
I am trying to make the Frankenstein Flash, just the way it is described in the hacking-readme, but maybe I have forgotten something realy bad or I'm just a way to dump :D

Everytime I try to do
Code: Select allmake

the second time, I get the following error:

Code: Select all/home/chris/esp-open-sdk/xtensa-lx106-elf/bin/../xtensa-lx106-elf/sysroot/usr/lib/libmin.a(spi_flash.o): In function 'spi_flash_get_id':
(.text+0x20): undefined reference to 'Wait:SPI_Idle'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [images/antares.elf] Fehler 1

I hope that anyone can help, I'm going crazy on that thing^^