Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By Stoney
#16328 if you are asking about the [Kh[118D[15C[2C when you type a character, they are ansi control codes.
I was putty but for some reeason it stopped working over my serial port, currently using realterm in ansi mode and it works fine..

eg .. typing 'help' in realterm ascii mode ..
frankenstein > [Kh[118D[15C[1C[Ke[118D[15C[2C[Kl[118D[15C[3C[Kp[118D[15C[4C

typing in ansi mode ..
frankenstein > help

now I am trying to work out just what I can do with franky, eg .. can i write a write a script with it and get it to run or is it just command line commands ??

still reading..
By ucy74
Stoney wrote:...can i write a write a script with it and get it to run...

Is there (in Frankenstein) any kind shell or batch file or automata or ladder machine - or operation commands must come from outside only?
By jiriw
#19330 I've got a few ESP-01's and 'soon' I'm going to experiment with alternative firmware. What I've read from this Frankenstein topic, this will be one of the options I'm going to study more in-depth. Now, I also have some MCP 23016 chips I want to use to expand the number of GPIO channels. These are I2C devices and should be capable of being 'driven' by the two GPIO pins that are available through the ESP-01 header. I don't need fast GPIO, for my aim is going to be 'simple' home automation (switching lamps/other devices through relais, sensing if there is power on them, those kind of things).

I read the Frankenstein firmware has some I2C code built in but browsing through the git repository I didn't see support for the MCP 23016/7. If someone want to add support for it, I'd be very grateful. If not, I'm still very grateful if you guys know any resources that would make it easier for me to implement this myself (and contribute the code once it's working of course). I do have 10 years of professional experience with OO programming (in a variety of languages) so I should be capable of doing something...
By RE:
#19640 First, a big thank you to necromant for this firmware!

I received my first esp8266 device only a few days ago. I wanted to write my own firmware similar to Frankenstein until I found this one. It already covers 90% of what I'd like to see, It's an excellent starting point for me.

Some remarks:
    I had some difficulty to connect to my network in STA mode first. Only after quoting my network name (SSID) it worked. There seem to be some restrictions on the allowed characters in an SSID.
    I'd like to get rid of mircrorl. Or at least make it optional. It serves no purpose for me. And I have to filter out all the vt100 stuff if I want to control my device via nc.
    Rant: all this auto-stuff (atomake, autoconf, etc.) was supposed to reduce the maintance burden if you want to write portable scripts and code. It actually makes it almost impossible to run anything in Windows/cygwin. (I'm a long time Unix admin)

best regards
RE