Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By hreintke
#5891 LS,
Just installed the Espressif DevKit & Eclipse and I can get projects build and deployed. Thanks for the good & complete description.

I am exprimenting with the espressif/examples/esp_iot_rtos_sdk.
When building the project it seems to work OK, in console I do not get errors and I do get the two bin files and they run on the esp but :
- When in eclipse "problems tab" I do get "errorlines" like
Field 's_addr' could not be resolved user_main.c /esp_iot_rtos_sdk/app/user line 49 Semantic Error
Symbol 'AF_INET' could not be resolved user_main.c /esp_iot_rtos_sdk/app/user line 48 Semantic Error
and these also show in the edit window when editing usr_main.c
Also code completion doesn't seem to work.
I did check and the espressif/esp8266_sdk/include is in the "paths and symbols"as stated in one of the first posts of this thread.

Do I need to include others for the rtos project ?

- The bin files are place in a directory .output/eagle/debug/bin/
I think because the "dot"in the ".output" Eclilpse doesn't show the directory in the project window and I need to go to windows explorer to move files.

Does anyone know where the output directory is defined and whether I can update thise in my config ?

Herman
By BarryP
#5932 Wow .. MANY Thanks For Making this Journey Less of a Nightmare .!
I'm curious if you have fixed the windows mkespfsimage.exe or I was just lucky ?
I opened the project with Express 2012 and it built a Release ok .
I then copied the mkespfsimage.exe
from \esphttpd\mkespfsimage_vs2012\Win32\Release\
To \esphttpd\mkespfsimage\
included flash in the build
------------------------
.PHONY: all checkdirs clean flash
all: checkdirs $(TARGET_OUT) $(FW_FILE_1) $(FW_FILE_2) flash
------------------------
Did a Build , and firmware loaded automatically & worked first time . Ye Ha !!

I note you mention there is an issue with SDKv0.9.4
How does one change the build soas an earlier SDK is used ?

Barry
EDIT ::::
Dang . I was wrong .
It was writing the webpages.espfs but mkespfsimage.exe wasn't creating a new one ...
By picpic020960
#5960 Bonjour

in the firt post of this topic , in the 'article ...' CHERTS say that the DEvkit Ok for 64 bits but KO for 32 bits Windows Machine.

Right ?

(it's so difficult to compile this firmware : linux/windows-32/64bits- VM or not - SDK 9.2/9.3/9.4 - CYGWIN/MINGW ...but interesting)
By hreintke
#5962 LS,
A lot of searching and trying but.. I found the answers to my own rtos implementation questions.
So beware : This is not for generic use.. only for the "esp_iot_rtos_sdk" example.
I also used it with my own import of the latest esp_iot_rtos_sdk from github.

-Code completion.
To make the code completion work (and remove the error messages I had to remove the "C:\Espressif\ESP8266_SDK\include\" from the "paths and symbols" properties for the project.
The project itself contains include files (f.e. lwip/lwip/opt.h) which has other contents than the one in ESP8266_SDK\include\.
That interferes with the code completion of eclipse.
I would expect that project files always have precedence on "other include paths" but do not have (yet) enough eperience in eclipse to get that configured.

- BIN file location.
Is defined in Makefile (ODIR).
Changed the definition from ".output" to "firmware" and works now to my likings.

Now up to rtos programming...

Herman