Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By mamalala
#1399 Hello everyone,

there is a new version of my esptool, which now can upload files to flash memory.

This is the first version that communicates with the bootloader in the chip, and that code isn't really pretty. But it works. For now it can only upload files to the flash memory, nothing else. To get it working under Windows, cygwin is required (or at least cygwin1.dll). To compile it under Windows you need a working cygwin installation that has the required stuff installed. I included the .exe in the archive.

It needs quite some cleanup, for example i made small changes to the way info messages are handled, and now a lot of the info messages show up as warning, since the infolevel for those messages isn't correct anymore. However, i wanted to get it out quickly, so that others may take a peek at the serial/bootloader stuff.

It is possible to generate all the required files from the .out file, and then upload them to the flash, in one go. For example:

Code: Select allesptool -eo app.out -bo 0x00000.bin -bs .text -bs .data -bs .rodata -bc -es .irom0.text 0x40000.bin -ec -cf 0x00000.bin -ca 0x40000 -cf 0x40000.bin

This will take app.out as the input file, generate the 0x00000.bin and 0x40000.bin files, and then upload them to the flash. See the README file for a quick overview of the options.

esptool-0.0.3.tgz

Greetings,

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By obvy
#1402 So, tell us again:

1. Why do you duplicate themadinventor's work: https://github.com/themadinventor/esptool ? His app is written in sane language which just work without any "compiles" and easy to hack on spot.
2. Why do you stir confusion in the community by using the same name as themadinventor's tool?
3. Why do you keep throwing random tarballs (which even include binaries (and every time someone thinks about binaries on the internets, one should think about trojaned binaries) ) - in a world which uses git for a decade or so?

Thanks for your great work otherwise!
By rudi
obvy wrote:So, tell us again:

1. Why do you duplicate themadinventor's work: https://github.com/themadinventor/esptool ? His app is written in sane language which just work without any "compiles" and easy to hack on spot.
2. Why do you stir confusion in the community by using the same name as themadinventor's tool?
3. Why do you keep throwing random tarballs (which even include binaries (and every time someone thinks about binaries on the internets, one should think about trojaned binaries) ) - in a world which uses git for a decade or so?

Thanks for your great work otherwise!

Sorry obvy, i must write ...i understand this as "negative" perhabs my english is not so good but think so..
Why are you so skeptical
why are you so confused
I am very glad that forced mamalala the work. .
why everything always new named?
my thinking: "Ingratitude of the Worlds is rewarding"
Do not get that unfortunately.
or should that be a compliment?
i work with his tools and i am verry verry wide in the ESP8266 work
look,
my webserver runs now at ESP8266 standalone, no need an extra MCU for processing web.
all is done in the SoC. World's first eMbeddedWebSever at SoC ESP8266 and the cheepest!
With all - GPIO, SDIO and ADC yes - wifi and ADC same time - no problem for me.
and why is this possible?
i can work with ESP SoC and must not think about how i can make updates ect so esptool is the best i ever used from mamalala
and when this work not functionally in the IDE so i can not work - i am happy about esptool, my interesst is not who has this start or make,
my interesst is: i can work now it 's funtionally .

You will see asap in Video at my YouTube Channel
i am outside at work - so this the reason for wait at weekend, perhabs i can upload before.. i will have a try.
this crazzy work with second MCU is not profit - the ESP8266 have a 32bit 80 MHZ cpu and can mod to 150 Mhz!
have you know this?.... and the SoC can run as Master CPU - standalone. after power supply --< 22ms the webserver is ready.. standalone! without extern MCU

i am little frusted in your post. yes - i hope i have missunderstand all and this is a complement to mamala work*s

best wishes rudi ;-)

btw:
thank you mamalala for your great work and allway's teach with tips!

rudi ;-)
germany
By reaper7
#1412 @mamalala - tnx for the update!

BTW. You're planning modify Your Makefiles from topic "New Makefile for the SDK, new tool to create firmware files"
for support flashing directly from makefile? like make flash ?