Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By GeorgeIoak
#19862 In this case any unused pins I would leave floating because they are GPIO pins and undetermined states aren't going to impact the chip's function.

I just noticed that you've written your input power source to be 12V. There's a few things wrong here:
  • I don't see a bulk cap on the input. LDO regulators almost always want some input capacitance for stability, 10uF is enough here
  • You're indicating a 12V input but with a 3.3V output the regulator is going to have to dissipate a lot of heat. P=VI=(12-3.3)*0.2=1.74W. You indicated a part in a SOT-223 which can't dissipate a lot of heat.
  • The biggest problem is that the IRU1117CY is only rated for a maximum 7V input

If you want to use the IRU1117CY then I would limit the input voltage to 5V and also use a reverse voltage protection diode which will not only protect against reversed polarity but it will help dissipate some of the heat and reduce the power loss in the LDO.
By LastSamurai
#19871 Oh I was actually using the LT 1117 for my tests. The IRU1117CY was just a placeholder because my program had no schematics for the LT 1117. It gets pretty hot but is working fine... have to do some more long time testing I guess. I think with some bigger copper areas nearby it should work. Anyways in this case it's just a placeholder for any 3.3V converter. I will delete the name of the component.

A reverse voltage protection diode would be a good idea anyways. I'll add that.
By eriksl
#19905 For anything above ~100 mA I'd recommend a buck converter instead of a lineair regulator. They're dead cheap now and very small as well. They generally can convert from ~30 V to ~2.5 V on 2000-3000 mA without getting quite warm, so that means they're much more efficient. Converting from 12 V to 3.3 V using a lineair regulator is like inserting a big resistor and a small transistor to handle the transients, and this big resistor is going to burn a lot of power continuously.