Chat freely about anything...
By hallgren
#20057 Hi everyone,

I'm still a newbie on the ESP8266 but I have a ESP-01 and I have flashed it with the latest AT firmware found here I'm using the Arduino 1.6.4 IDE and everything seems to work as expected but I have a question about setting a static IP address for the device.

If I set the IP after I connect it works but based on other sources I should be able to do it before I do WiFi.begin. This works but what happens if there is no DHCP server? I assume that the device will try to get a DHCP address before looking at the next line of code and that will introduce a long wait, right?

Code: Select allWiFi.begin(AP_SSID, AP_PASSWORD);

And how do I set a DNS server? By looking at the source code here I thought that it could be set like this:

Code: Select allWiFi.begin(AP_SSID, AP_PASSWORD);

based on this code:

Code: Select allvoid ESP8266WiFiClass::config(IPAddress local_ip, IPAddress gateway, IPAddress subnet, IPAddress dns)
    struct ip_info info;
    info.ip.addr = static_cast<uint32_t>(local_ip); = static_cast<uint32_t>(gateway);
    info.netmask.addr = static_cast<uint32_t>(subnet);

wifi_set_ip_info(STATION_IF, &info);

// Set DNS-Server
    ip_addr_t d;
    d.addr = static_cast<uint32_t>(dns);
   _useStaticIp = true;

but I get this

Code: Select all...packages/esp8266/hardware/esp8266/1.6.4-673-g8cd3697/libraries/ESP8266WiFi/src/ESP8266WiFi.h:88:10: note:   candidate expects 3 arguments, 4 provided
no matching function for call to 'ESP8266WiFiClass::config(IPAddress&, IPAddress&, IPAddress&, IPAddress&)'

Thanks in advance!
By tytower
#21364 I agree with you its odd . The function you show has 4 variables and you provide 4 variables so why does the IDE want 3 ?

I would say its not using the library you show but another , perhaps ethernet library or something that uses a 3 variable function. Try updating the IDE if you are still working on this . There were quite a few changes in 1.6.4 and 1.6.5 is out so maybe try that if you don't have it updated already (turn update on in preferences)
Alternatively go github ESP8266/Arduino/Issues and have a look through or put a new one in
By martinayotte
#21388 There is a simple reason for that : the 4 arguments function has been added on June 5th, so maybe the JSON package installer for Arduino IDE is providing an older version. ... d96c58d8df
If it is the case, maybe you will need to update core files directly from GitHub or simply use the 3 arguments function without DNS.
By ArnieO
#21391 This works for me:
Code: Select all#include <ESP8266WiFi.h>

const char *ssid =      "YourSSID";      
const char *pass =      "YourPassword";

// Update these with values suitable for your network.
IPAddress ip(192,168,0,128);  //Node static IP
IPAddress gateway(192,168,0,1);
IPAddress subnet(255,255,255,0);

void setup()
  WiFi.begin(ssid, pass);
  WiFi.config(ip, gateway, subnet);

//Wifi connection
  while (WiFi.status() != WL_CONNECTED) {
  Serial.print("WiFi connected, using IP address: ");

void loop()