Chat freely about anything...

By cschmol
#23148 Hello,
I got my first esp8266-07 yesterday and I am very enthousiastic about it, but somehow I just cannot get it to work.

To begin, I just want to acceess the AT mode with a serial terminal (I use a usb to serial adapter on my linux box).
I made the following connections:

ESP8266-07 usb serial
RESET - floating
VCC - 3.3V (that I get from an lm317)
GND - gnd
RXD - TXD
TXD - RXD
GPIO0 - 3.3V
GPIO15 - 0V

I then tried the baud rates 9600, 115200, 57600, but I don't get any clear text (only periodic-looking gibberish), even after resetting the device (both with RESET pin and with removing VCC).
I should also note that GND from USB-serial and LM317 are connected.
I cannot enter any text in the serial console, but the esp is always sending gibberish.
I also tried uploading nodeMCU (after connecting GPIO to 0, which also doesn't work.

Using an oscilloscope, I could verify that the esp indeed sends some random data, and when hooking up the TX of the serial adapter and running esptool, I can also observe some action.

I would be very thankful if I could get any help, because I just don't know where to look for an error, and can't even get to the command mode.

Kind regards,
Christophe

PS: As I am new to this forum, and didn't see any section where one can introduce himself, I will just do that here at the end of my first post.

Hello guys, I am Christophe, 24 years old and study Information and Communication Technologies at the RWTH University in Aachen in the 2nd masters semester.
In my freetime, I like to work with electronics and microcontrollers.
My interest in this field lies at the moment in particular in home automation, as I want to completely automate my home with the esp8266.
By tytower
#23206 How are you Christophe, Pleased to meet you I am sure .
reset pin should be high is the only fault I see . pull it high and repower and it should be in UART mode ready to upload . If Not or anyway have a look through the wiki on this page above you now.

Data is presently coming at 74880 baud and its probably resetting repeatedly

With the above correction to reset then taking GPIO0 low and repowering puts you into running mode (FLASH mode ) and the AT commands should work then
By Peter Digy
#23525 Hi,

I have the same problem Like Christophe.

I connected in many ways, for example:

ESP8266-07 to usb serial
RESET - (sometime to gnd in a moment, sometimes always to 3.3V)
VCC - 3.3V
GND - gnd
RXD - TXD
TXD - RXD
GPIO0 - 3.3V
GPIO15 - 0V

This wired should works properly but it doesnt.
Before flashing I get from serial (like my friend Christophe) only periodic-looking gibberish text.
After flashing new firmware I get no answer from esp8266 (only like before gibberish text when i wired RST to GND for one moment).

What should I do?
Kind regards,
Peter