Chat here about code rewrites, mods, etc... with respect to the github project https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino

Moderator: igrr

By schufti
#26485 If the authors of the libraries would think the same, they wouldn't publish them under gpl in first place.
Ofcourse, if you have the permisson from the authors for use in closed source / commercial products, it is ok.
But not just for one component, for all, even e.g. the arduino bootloader, as this will be also "sold" with your product.
Rules are to be obeyed ... not only when convenient!
By danbicks
#26489 schufti,

I agree that it is not only one component, It is therefore the whole package. Some of us at some point want to secure our code that has been worked on for many months to ensure it is not replicated as the product stands as a whole.

A product is made up of many component parts not just one, the gluing logic and rules engine is unique however to a given designer/programmer and should be private and protected if deemed necessary.

Without getting in to an argument and raising my blood pressure the question was: Can an ESP8266 be code protected!

Dans
By martinayotte
#26493 Since the code is located in the external Flash, there is no way to protect that like with other MCU.
Even if there was a ways to disable the "read_flash" command of the bootloader, still some hackers would simply plug the Flash on a reader to get back the original code.
By danbicks
#26494 Hi Martin,

That was my gut feeling, the ESP is more like a micro processor having flash data stored separately rather than embedded within the device. I was not sure if the flash storage had some form of lock or keys access from the micro..

Cheers mate

Dans