Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Redshiftman
#3058 For those of you with good soldering skills and a steady hand I've developed a system to give you 4 extra gpio pins that are on a firm socket rather than hanging wires off the pins.
It consists of removing the existing pins, replacing the 2 rows of 4 pins with 2 rows of 7 pins. Remove the 5th pin on both rows and solder the 2 rows in with the extra pins to the left.
Next solder fine wire from these extra pins to pins 9,10,12,13.

The extra pins are GPIO14, GPIO12, GPIO13 and GPIO15.

You can now plug this into a 14 pin IDC socket or any other of your choosing.

See the attached photo.

I accept no responsibility for your lack of skill if you screw the board :lol:

Good luck

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Redshiftman
#3075 ...........and if you want to take advantage of the A/D on pin 6 of the ic, you could add another couple of pins. You'd probably have to take the cap off next to pin 6, add the wire and then put the cap back on.

Dave
By aventuri
#3078 @redshiftman,

what.. that's a skill indeed!!

i have the ESP01 in my hand and at the same time i'm staring at your shot, full screen on the monitor, and i'm wondering how scaled up it is!

you really can solder these tiiiiiiny wires on the chip pins by hand?

kudos for the strong hand and the magnifying glass;

given they are less then 3$ each, it could really become a useful and cheap practice for students
By Redshiftman
#3143 Yes, you can really solder the pins on the chip. I use a steromicroscope and you have to hold the board very steady. I use a soldering iron with a sharp point which is just the width of the pad.

Of course a steady hand is needed as well. It only needs a little practice with the right tools.