Chat freely about anything...

By Arjen
#34797 Hi,

First of all, I've just registred, looked over the different subforums and I'm not quite sure if I can post this in this forum but could not find any related forum. I've got a problem which occurs on two different ESP's. They are both ESP-01's. The problem I'm having is trying to upload the NodeMCU Firemware to the ESP.

I've got a FTDI232 connected to it as described here: http://i1.wp.com/randomnerdtutorials.co ... lasher.png

However, when I do this the ESP does not seem to get enough power (I've placed the jumper on the FTDI on 3.3V though) thus I do not connect the GND, GPIO0, VCC and CH_PD to the FTDI but to a battery box with two rechargeable batteries which both are 1900mAh 1.2V.

The ESP now powers on however when I use my Terminal on my Macbook to execute the firmware the following happens:

Arjen@MBA:~/Downloads/esptool-master$ sudo ./esptool.py --port /dev/tty.usbserial-A50285BI write_flash 0x00000 ../nodemcu_integer_0.9.6-dev_20150704.bin
Connecting...

A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP8266

So, not the expected result. I suspected it might be the FTDI converter so also tried the same on my Raspberry Pi. I've kept GND, GPIO0, VCC and CH_PD on the battery box but I've connected RX to TX on my Pi and TX to RX on my Pi. This will be PIN8 en PIN10 ( http://www.bashmodulo.com/wp-content/up ... inouts.jpg )

Trying to Flash from my Pi (runs on Raspbian):

pi@pimatic ~/esp $ sudo python esptool/esptool.py --port /dev/ttyAMA0 write_flash 0x000000 "nodemcu_integer_0.9.6-dev_20150704.bin"
Connecting...

A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP8266

Same Error. It doesn't seem likely that I've received two broken ESP's. Does anyone have any clue what I'm doing wrong? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Arjen.
By Arjen
#34851 Thank you for your reply!

Sadly that has not worked for me. GPIO0 and GND on the ESP are routed to GND on my breadboard, while VCC and CH_PD are routed to 3.3V.

I placed a jumper cable on the RESET pin of the ESP. While the ESP was power on ( red light is burning), placed the RESET jumper on GND on my breadboard (next to GPIO0 and GND), leave it there for 1 sec and then pull it out again. I now see the blue LED on the ESP flashing. Afterwards, I still have the same "Failed to connect to ESP8266" error.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Kind regards,
Arjen.
By bluegiraffe
#34857 Whell it seems that the connections are fine. Maybe it's the FT232 ?

I think I saw somewhere where people had problems with those USB chips...

Does the FT232 provides RX/TX lines at 3.3v or TTL (5V)? The ESP is a 3.3V chip....

I'm using the CP2102 chip USB/serial, that provides 3.3v TX/RX line, so I never had this issue.