Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By Neo
#37027 Hello,

i would like to run Java Bytecode on an ESP8266, but i could not
find a JVM which which expilcitley supports it.

Do you know about any JVM that can run on the ESP?

Regards, Neo
By kolban
#37039 Howdy Neo,
With only 40K of available RAM after enabling networking, it HIGHLY unlikely we will find a JVM that will fit in that space. With ESP32 and more RAM, it may become more possible. You'll likely need to balance your needs ... programming in C on a tight space with low power and WiFi ... or a Pi Zero with lots and lots of capacity including JVM but the need to add a $3 WiFi dongle and more power consumption.
By Neo
#37068 Hello Kolban,

there is actualy even a JVM for the AVR µC that needs only 256 Byte(!) of Ram...There are also a lot of other JVM for
embedded Systems, and while i could not find one that states that it is specifically suitable for the ESP i am sure
there is one which can be compiled with little to no effort for the ESP.

Of cousre i could start a Trial and Error thing, but i think it is more wise to ask for someone
who has already done it, or who can at least give me the right directions.

Regards
By kolban
#37074 Oooh ... that is indeed interesting. Do you have any links to these VMs? If some of them are open source then maybe a subproject could be started to look into porting one if it hasn't started already. I am not aware of any JVM porting projects ... but that doesn't mean that there aren't any.