The use of the ESP8266 in the world of IoT

By eriksl
#37151 I am looking for / thinking of something similar but not quite the same ;)

I only need to update firmware over wlan, nothing else, certainly not more slots or rescue images, when the update fails, I simply take it out and connect the uart programmer, no pain.

So that also means I don't want to make multiple firmwares for multiples slots / address offsets.

I guess there are two possible ways (not necessarily feasible ;)) to implement this:

- using an intermediate image
- using some code in the image that doesn't get overwritten (or not immediately)

Also it would need a complete up and running wlan and ip system. I guess a minimal image with that and a basic flashing routine would already be quite large, wouldn't it?

Hmmm, not so easy after all I guess.

I could of course attach a second esp8266 and operate that as wlan to uart bridge ;)
By rab
#37152 If your device has 2mb or more of flash you can just use big flash mode and you only need to link one image. Although linking two different images isn't difficult. I don't see anything else in your list of requirements that it doesn't do already.