By RichardS
#43098 User
???

Description
Grafting an ESP8266 WiFi module into a $10 3D printed robotic Hamster.
This is just a glimpse of a project I am working on right now.

It uses a single ESP8266 series 12 WiFi module to control 2 generic 28BYJ48 stepper motors.
Also note the Maxbotics sonar distance sensor (circa 5 metres detect) which is linked into the esp's analogue port
The hamster creates its own server with a tiny control panel web-page.
Its part of a mapping control system , with the idea of using multiple hamsters
(Maybe even scaled up mega hamsters with Nema17 motors)

Run through of the system.... and operation and first glimpse of its accuracy.
Starting with the On/Off switch, it is a split Swiss cheese magnet which operates a reed switch behind its sharp teeth.
The Hamster body parts were designed in Blender using Meta-Balls.
links to the 3D STL files can be found below
......and cured in Cura....

... notice the middle circular cavities which house 2x 3000mAhr 18650 lipo cells (mumpf-mumpf)

I printed it in Glow PLA ....so it will creep you out if caught un-awares,,,,,
The hamster is short sighted , so I crafted a pair of rose coloured spectacles for it.
The wheels troubled me .... as I wanted paws...... so a compromise was made with a spoke effect with rubber o-rings for wheely good traction.
At the heart of the Hamster sits an ESP8266 WiFi module series 12 which controls two stepper motors.

The red/orange glow you see are the stepper drivers (neat that each phase has a LED, great for debug)
The ESP8266 is programmed using the Arduino IDE (please refer to my walk-through on how todo this)

The program enables the Hamster to host its own standalone server which which you can access from another WiFi enabled device.
I am using my net-book to access the Hamster software , when linked the hamster transmits its web gui (a bunch of click-able buttons) back to my net book where it can be controlled.
ESP8266 WiFi controlled Hamster

Parts

Links
Github
Thingiverse

Video

Images
Attachments
unnamed (2).png
unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed (6).png
unnamed (2).jpg
unnamed.jpg
unnamed (1).png
unnamed (1).png (11.78 KiB) Viewed 5325 times
unnamed (7).png
unnamed (7).png (11.78 KiB) Viewed 5325 times
unnamed (3).png
By chiprobot
Seasalt wrote:I like it. Looks like a lot of fun.

Indeed It was quite a juggling act fitting everything in and doubling up on the not so spare GPIO pins.... good job the squirrel did not pass the casting couch. :ugeek: