Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Sjaak
gwizz wrote:Yes, I am using an ATX psu together with the Dangerous Prototypes board - it can supply a huge amount of current - 14A!! so that's unlikely to be the problem!!

Unless you bypass the polyfuses it will max at 1.25A. It is designed not to fry your prototype together with your house ;)
By hansaya
Sjaak wrote:
gwizz wrote:Yes, I am using an ATX psu together with the Dangerous Prototypes board - it can supply a huge amount of current - 14A!! so that's unlikely to be the problem!!

Unless you bypass the polyfuses it will max at 1.25A. It is designed not to fry your prototype together with your house ;)

You playing with fire, lol. Trust me, have your ruses right. I almost burned my parents house once
By gwizz
#4648 Thanks, I had forgotten that the atx breakout gives resettable fuse protection - good to be reminded - I have no desire to let the magic smoke out of my house :)

The Raspberry Pi that I'm using to connect to the ESP-03 takes the place of the more usual FTDI USB bridge - and the Raspberry Pi is fixed at 3.3V logic. So in this case I don't need to worry about level converters or dividing the voltage down with resistors etc.

Thanks for all the suggestions, no breakthroughs yet, but I'll try again with another module (I bought four) just to spread my chances.

Gareth
By gwizz
#4924 SUCCESS!! Oh sweet joy!

I tried another module - this time I didn't bother soldering and just used a set of probes I bought from Electrodragon at the same time:
20141216_121654.jpg

I found the modules had firmware 0018000902-AI03 shipped - I was able to upload lua firmware onto it no problems!

Many thanks to everyone who contributes to this great forum!

I'll have another look at the dodgy module - starting to suspect my soldering :oops:

Gareth
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.